• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Olympus lens roadmap 2019
https://learnandsupport.getolympus.com/d...ouncements

So ...
- 12-45mm f/4 PRO
- 100-400mm f/5-6.3 IS
- 150-400mm f/4.5 1.25x IS PRO
- 5 unknowns

Not too shabby for a supposedly "dead" brand.

I'm slightly wondering about the point with the 12-45mm f/4 PRO. The 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO is quite small and fairly affordable already.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
yeah that 12-45 seems like a pretty dumb idea. A 12-60 f4 would make much more sense.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
(11-27-2019, 09:56 PM)thxbb12 Wrote: yeah that 12-45 seems like a pretty dumb idea. A 12-60 f4 would make much more sense.

Maybe as a new kit lens for mid grade cameras?
Or a PRO pancake - that would be something ...

(11-28-2019, 12:15 AM)Klaus Wrote:
(11-27-2019, 09:56 PM)thxbb12 Wrote: yeah that 12-45 seems like a pretty dumb idea. A 12-60 f4 would make much more sense.

Maybe as a new kit lens for mid grade cameras?
Or a PRO pancake - that would be something ...

The announcement text describes the 12-45 as "ultra-compact".
Well, there cannot be enough choice in standard zooms, right? And they already discontinued the 12-50 EZ. Looks like I'll end up with three out of that species: An ultra-compact every-day-lens, which may have the effect, that I actually end up putting the E-M1II into my commute bagback (Thinking of Laurent's 12-32 on the GMsomething). The 2.8 variant for indoor shooting and the 12-100/4 for outdoor family activities...

Interesting that all but the 100-400 will get the PRO badge. And an 8-17 with front filter option is definitely a hole in the lineup. As to the "Telephoto Zoom Lens" propositions without detailed specifications except for the vague focal range: I'll guess something like a 60-180/1.8, 50-250/2.8 and a compact 40-150/4. Not sure what bright prime lenses might fit between 17 and 45, but I would certainly fall prey to a compact 14/1.4
(11-27-2019, 09:02 PM)Klaus Wrote: https://learnandsupport.getolympus.com/d...ouncements

(...)

Not too shabby for a supposedly "dead" brand.

(...)

The publication of this revised roadmap without any substantial piece of news:

1. two lenses already on the roadmap got a name ('Standard Zoom Lens'  --> Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 12-45 mm f/4 Pro and 'Super Telephoto Zoom Lens' --> Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 100-400 mm f/5-6,3 IS) but no further specifications
  2. a third Telephoto Zoom Pro lens was added
  3. no further details concerning the 150- 400mm F4.5 TC1.25x IS lens were provided
looks indeed like a damage control operation to mitigate the impact of the recent rumours concerning the possible sale or closure of Olympus Imaging.
The 150-400 f4.5 seems interesting. I forget what else is available in the super zoom but what i remembered was that the panasonic offering was too slow to have much sharpness. This one seems a bit faster so might perform a bit better (though i suppose that also means it will be heavier).
Is there any possibility that Olympus is planning ahead for the new age of computational cameras? Dazzled by what my Pixel 3 can do with tiny lens and sensor, I much look forward to having a camera that can perform similar marvels with a proper lens and larger sensor. Will full frame still ne necessary in the age of even better sensors and in-camera computational processing?

In my opinion the future lies in smaller sensors. There are large financial incentives for pushing in that direction. Many uses besides standard cameras, including phones, dash-cams, security cameras etc.
They are doing it already - “50MP Handheld High Res Shot” is just that.

AI NR and sharpening are just a matter of time. The problem is that the processing time is still too long. You may accept some seconds on a smartphone but not on a camera.

Bokeh simulation will come for sure but quality-wise it's not there yet.

Computational photography is bound to give better results than what is being captured by a large sensor (without processing).
Small sensors will always have much faster readout than larger sensors.
When you see what is already achievable today on a 5x5mm sensor, it's quite impressive.
Small sensor tech is improving faster than what's available on larger sensors. CPU power, readout speed, and algorithms continue to improve at a very fast pace.
You'll be able to chose whatever type of bokeh you like (perfect, imperfect, etc) after the shot was taken.
Being able to capture a huge amount of frames allow to increase DR, sharpness, resolution, etc. despite using a tiny sensor.
Dedicated MILC will probably still exist, but for very niche stuff only.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
Well, let's not get carried away - ultra-wide angle lenses are still just soso on smartphones and long tele shots are pretty much a joke - it'll be tough to overcome a marginal information base with compute unless you truly interpolate the content.
Also, the latest gen of smartphone sensors (64mp) is at the theoretical physical limit - and that's when ignoring every aspect of the lens. Not that anyone cares, it seems.