Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canon RS plus budget RF lenses soon
https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/...early-2020

Canon RS with 75MP "with focus on dynamic range" 
Budget RF lenses 
Surely a 50f1.8 should be there 
Will we see a cheap standard zoom? A pancake prime?
Well, it's not a question of what we are going to see but when. With the demise of the EF lineup, Canon will be busy mirroring all EF lenses with RF designs.

The strangest thing for me is how long they take to provide a pro-grade R camera. While the Nikon Z7 may just be "prosumer", it's still a more compelling offering than the EOS R - let alone everything Sony, of course.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(01-09-2020, 08:39 PM)Klaus Wrote: Well, it's not a question of what we are going to see but when. With the demise of the EF lineup, Canon will be busy mirroring all EF lenses with RF designs.

The strangest thing for me is how long they take to provide a pro-grade R camera. While the Nikon Z7 may just be "prosumer", it's still a more compelling offering than the EOS R - let alone everything Sony, of course.

Well, I guess their newest generation sensor technology was simply not ready until late last year, and at that point it simply made more sense to put it in a couple of mass-market APS-C bodies than a professional full frame camera. Especially considering they already released 2 cameras for the RF-mount in ~1 year (and which they were selling at liquidation prices during the holidays).

I'm not surprised it is taking that long: it took years for Sony to release their A9 professional camera, and they had a lot more experience in mirrorless cameras than both Canon and Nikon have at this point.
The problem with Canon is that they have been trailing in the sensor segment for numerous years now.
Other than the EOS 1D x sensors, all their sensors have been mediocre.
I assume that they will take the EOS M6 II (32mp) sensor and just scale that up to full format.

I'm not sure if I am understanding you, Klaus. Are you saying that the 32.5MP APS-C is, in fact, and excellent sensor, but you don't consider it important? Are you saying that if they were to scale it up to FF, which is to say the same pixel density, which would make it a bit over 80 MP then they would have only a halfway decent FF Sensor? Even though you appear to think that the 50 megapixel EOS 5DSR out resolves most lenses now, anyways?

I'm not trying to be sarcastic. Canon is putting a lot of value in their products. I think they are going in the right direction.
The 32mp sensor from the M6 II been has improved substantially over their previous APS-C sensors. Yes, that's good - in the APS-C scope.
So given the rumors about a 75mp EOS Rs, it seems likely that they will just scale this sensor up or use at least very related tech.
This also means that the IQ will be similar on pixel-level - which in turn means that it'll be a noise generator at ISO 3200 once again (just like the EOS 5Ds R at 50mp).
The 5Ds R wasn't exactly a success in the marketplace and history will repeat itself once again I fear.
The problem with these insane megapixel numbers is that this is an answer to a question that nobody (well, few) asked.

Just look at Sony - the A7R IV is not the sales king, it is the A7 III.
Megapixels are - in my opinion - not the right way to revive the business. Innovation is.

I do understand what you are saying. The problem for me is that telephoto, and macro are my two biggest interests in photography. I understand that that puts me in the outliers as far as what is needed to revive the market.

But I have to say, every time I have to replace my camera, and I find my self with more megapixels, that means, in effect, my telephoto gets longer, and my macro lenses get more magnification!

It isn't that I don't want innovation. More like MP's have been the one thing that they do deliver on. Even if it is meaningless for a lot of people!
I do wonder what you mean with "innovation".

When Sony comes out with a high MP A7RIII it is innovation, when rumour about an EOS R with 75mp surface, it is not?
More megapixels are just evolution, no innovation. Innovation would be to enlarge pixelsize and reduce resolution if higher ISOs are needed on the same sensor to get a better noise-reduction. Not that I would know how to do that, otherwise I would just sell this innovation Big Grin.

An no one in this thread declared more MP to be an innovation, so why you're making this weird side-remark? Klaus keeps on saying that he's not happy with more MP.

A very simple innovation would also be to switch to a smaller sensor size (from FF to APS-C i.e.) an being able at the same time to move the crop-area. That way we could set the camera horizontally and vertically levelled and avoid the cropping afterwards (for architecture stuff). That way those MP would make more sense to me, I don't like the perspective correction or the non destructive cropping afterwards as it wastes diskspace and slows down import and export. With 75 MP that should still deliver a lot of resolution
I am not saying more megapixels is innovation. I wonder what Klaus deems "innovation". He did not complain about the A7R III when it came out, about it not being innovation. Now he does with this Canon rumour.