Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nikon D6 announced
So here it is:

https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d6/

You were right, JoJu: no IBIS. A pity.

Curious to hear more about the new AF system. Even though the D5's AF was far from being weak already.
Editor
opticallimits.com

There's all sorts of talk about the AF coverage .... Nikon saying that they have a denser AF array with 105 focal points, 48 down on the D5 ..... many are asking if the AF coverage has been reduced as a result.

Canon's offering looks to knock the Nikon out of the park frankly !!

Nikon's pro DSLR swan song looks to go out with a puff of smoke ..... sans the bang!
(02-12-2020, 07:34 AM)mst Wrote: So here it is:

https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d6/

You were right, JoJu: no IBIS. A pity.

Curious to hear more about the new AF system. Even though the D5's AF was far from being weak already.

Sure, it's Nikon, not any fancy manufacturer with an afiinbity to real innovations. All they can is keeping it the way which was working for 50 years - and some might find that appealing, others boring.

It's kind of a strange decision to push the AF system furter (which has to prove a better reliability and precision) and leave the mirrorless division sticking with all the shortcomings which haven't improved since the last FW update.

Again, innovation (and FW updates) are not Nikon's strengths.
Somewhat agree to both of you. The 1D X III definitely brings more innovations than the D6 and looks more attractive on paper. On the other hand, the differences between both cameras are not big enough to make someone who has already spent a fortune on high end lenses consider a switch.

AF frame coverage of both cameras remains to be seen. I expect the Canon to have an advantage here, but I would be very surprised if the D6's AF coverage is narrower than the D5's. Still, if you want both speed and the maximum AF coverage in the frame and are satisfied with 20 MP, the D500 is still the way to go.

@JoJu: well, these are tools bought and used primarily by pros in challenging environments. Which means the most basic expectation on the user side is: this thing needs to work, no matter what. It's a conservative clientele, for sure. For journalism work, mirrorless cameras a becoming an alternative for some, but for the average sports shooter, there is no alternative to those heavy bricks. And likely also not to the optical viewfinder.
Editor
opticallimits.com

(02-12-2020, 08:56 AM)mst Wrote: ...
@JoJu: well, these are tools bought and used primarily by pros in challenging environments. Which means the most basic expectation on the user side is: this thing needs to work, no matter what. It's a conservative clientele, for sure. For journalism work, mirrorless cameras a becoming an alternative for some, but for the average sports shooter, there is no alternative to those heavy bricks. And likely also not to the optical viewfinder.

Well, the Sony ɑ9II also delivers and covers much more AF-points at higher fps. Anyway, both are nothing for me. For the AF-coverage I read, they reduced the AF points from 153 to 105, but all 105 can be selected and the higher number before were for the AF-points between the selectable ones. I still think it's pointless to throw R&D resources at this project. 

But then, I guess a few engineers at Nikon who haven't gone (Roger Cigala of LensRentals ocasionally mentioned he's meeting a surprising number of ex-Nikon-engineers) by now will spend the time until retirement with DSLR pampering. That rumor about many engineers looking for new jobs might be just a rumor, but usually a grain of truth is in a lot of rumors.

I don't think, Nikon will launch a mirrorless Pro body very soon - ad if so, I don't think many pro's would actually pay for using it. Maybe along their D5/D6, but for sure not exclusively.
Did you read that Mercedes is (again!) not offering the newest Actros as a cabriolet? Who's supposed to buy spend big money if you cannot even take the roof down? No wonder their truck business is going down the drain...

(02-12-2020, 09:54 AM)JJ_SO Wrote: I don't think, Nikon will launch a mirrorless Pro body very soon - ad if so, I don't think many pro's would actually pay for using it. Maybe along their D5/D6, but for sure not exclusively.

That's a challenge any Pro mirrorless camera will be facing, no matter what brand. There are niches in the pro market where this will be easier, there will be niches where for quite a while you will mostly see pros with either a 1D or D5/D6.

These bodies (as well as the big lenses they're often mounted to) are not designed nor meant to be mass market devices.
Editor
opticallimits.com