Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Samsung S20 Ultra ... thoughts?
As some may have noticed I'm fairly open to computational support in cameras - which isn't all that new when thinking of auto-correction.

Now looking at the S20 Ultra I'm starting to wonder whether this is already "good enough" for me to a certain degree at least. Ok, that ultra-wide camera is probably still meh but the overall package is close.

At least one of the sensors isn't that small anymore either (1/1.3").
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Sure, the IQ may be good enough for some applications, but the handling is blääää... Just touch and sweep controls is like standing in mud (I hate cell phones; have one just because I must). Also, a “camera” without a viewfinder is no camera. For me this is a boring thing, photography should be fun.
Maybe i am a dinosaur or at least a mammoth.
Same for me, Goran. Sure I'm another dinosaur.
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
Similar here. I actually welcome software contribution to photography development. It is great today we have a solid camera in a phone. Super useful.

However, photography is a lot more about how to aim, follow subject, adjust relevant settings, responsiveness, etc... I am far from one who believes it is big stuff that cuts it, but camera needs to be as much as possible part of photographer. And of course a viewfinder plays a crucial role. Phone is simply something else than a camera as such.

So probablya a dinosaurus too. ;-)
(02-15-2020, 09:22 AM)stoppingdown Wrote: Same for me, Goran. Sure I'm another dinosaur.

Same here ....... only my fixed focus meniscus eyes require several pairs of glasses of see the damned thing.
Ha! For a while I thought, I was the only dinosaur left here... but now it feels like extinction is not around the corner, yet Wink
Editor
opticallimits.com

Hopefully it's still early Cretaceous for all of us... Smile
There was a documentary called "Walking with dinosaurs" - that's how I feel now. ;-)
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Ugh... There is no doubt I'm also part of the photographius archaicus endangered species Sad
--Florent

Flickr gallery
(02-14-2020, 10:12 PM)Klaus Wrote: As some may have noticed I'm fairly open to computational support in cameras - which isn't all that new when thinking of auto-correction.

Now looking at the S20 Ultra I'm starting to wonder whether this is already "good enough" for me to a certain degree at least. Ok, that ultra-wide camera is probably still meh but the overall package is close.

At least one of the sensors isn't that small anymore either (1/1.3").

I don't own the s20 so can't comment on the camera but i do have the note 9 (which has two rear cameras) and i can make this comment. The wide angle lens is pretty sharp and i can crop/enlarge a bit when I want to get some details of something. The telephoto lens sucks optically and i can't enlarge much because the image lacks resolution. Now i can't comment if this is just my phone or an issue with blur (flash doesn't help so i don't think so; also it doesn't look like blur it just cant' capture much details). Therefore more often than not i'm better off using the wide angle lens and cropping than using the telephoto lens which is quite annoying. 

As for the s20 if it is anything like the note 9 where only one of the lens is optically high resolution i'd be very unhappy given teh price point. Having said that i'll at least look at the note 20; though i'm more likely to wait for the 21 or 22 as I prefer to keep my phone 4 years (my last upgrade - note 4 to note 9 was due to several years of no updates).