Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Panasonic L-mount roadmap 2020
See attachment

Attached Files
.png   Panasonic-L-lens-roadmap-695x1024.png (Size: 339.65 KB / Downloads: 13)
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(02-27-2020, 09:34 PM)Klaus Wrote: See attachment

Another start from scratch lens range ...... another round of F1.8 lenses ...... ahhhh yawn ...... 

I wonder if the FF Panasonic is going to make it frankly .... with it's bizarre CD AF ........ who's buying it? ...... very few !!

Nikon rumours are sniffing out leaks that the newly supposed Z8 and the D860 will have a new 60 MPs sensor ...... 

I wouldn't risk my hard earned heritage on any L mount system lens or camera ......

......... would you? ..........    anybody?

Don't shout all at once !! Smile
(02-28-2020, 08:12 AM)davidmanze Wrote:

Another start from scratch lens range ...... another round of F1.8 lenses ...... ahhhh yawn ...... 

I wonder if the FF Panasonic is going to make it frankly .... with it's bizarre CD AF ........ who's buying it? ...... very few !!

Nikon rumours are sniffing out leaks that the newly supposed Z8 and the D860 will have a new 60 MPs sensor ...... 

I wouldn't risk my hard earned heritage on any L mount system lens or camera ......

Don't shout all at once !!  Smile

Aaah, cattle grid dave's back!   Tongue Hiya, nearly missed you.

I deciphered three question marks, the first answered by two exclamation marks, so not to worry about that bugger.

You belong to the guys only seeing one manufacturer when it comes to L-mount stuff. And since you're too much of a DSLR grandpa, you wouldn't buy into mirrorless anyway, right, hard earnt heritages and so on.

I guess, that Panasonic approach is simply not your cup of tea  Shy

But looking at their lens line-up, I'd say their first 3 lenses were a better choice than say, Nikon's Z weirdnesses. I tried a 70-200/4 and a 24-105/4. The 50/1.4 as well, but I'd go for the Art version anyway. The whole stuff is heavier, yes, but feels more solid and well thought than Z - they even offer a DECENT battery  grip (I was yelling at Nikon, not you dave).

Nikon needed 3 FW updates to get a sort of usable AF tracking, the electronic level blotch is still as ugly as it gets.

The L-system is supposed to offer 42 lenses (more than half of it adapted) by the end of 2020, heck, even if you'd like to blow 8k $ or £ to a lens: Leica has something for you which might just be more useful than a bloody MF 58 mm chunk.

I don't think Panasonic will ever get into "sold out" or "out of stock" troubles, but then again: Where's Nikon's 70-200/2.8? Not in your shelf and 3k$ in Nikon's pockets, it's still not available, the mystic 500/5.6 PF E - I touched it once but was hesitating to throw 4k$ at it. And now it's still not available. Having to choose between 58/0.95 MF and 35/1.2 AF I'd go for the wider.

Of the only 3 Panasonic lenses I tried so far Nikon doesn't offer anything similar. Panasonic covers natively a range of 24-200 mm.

Nikon? 2 years after start still no 70-200 S lens. May I call that "testimony of arrogance and incompetence"? No, they delivered some lenses, which once were the designated cheapo apertures.

If I were mainly into landscape and studio portraits, I had already turnt my back to the yellow logo.
Well, that the Panasonic lens roadmap is a tad "meh" in most areas is not such a big deal, if Sigma will come with larger aperture and more special lenses. Panasonic does sell to video makers, who often do use manual focus rigs. If the rest of the video features is good, the CD AF does not matter that much. But, with these big heavy bodies, Panasonic is not going to win a huge market share.
I reckon most of their sales are around the S1H?
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(02-28-2020, 09:09 AM)Klaus Wrote: I reckon most of their sales are around the S1H?

Think so too.

(02-28-2020, 08:58 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: Well, that the Panasonic lens roadmap is a tad "meh" in most areas is not such a big deal, if Sigma will come with larger aperture and more special lenses. Panasonic does sell to video makers, who often do use manual focus rigs. If the rest of the video features is good, the CD AF does not matter that much. But, with these big heavy bodies, Panasonic is not going to win a huge market share.

I don't feel it more or worse "meh" tahn Nikon's roadmap, just in different aspects.

I'm wondering if Sigma will also do more focus by wire lenses, when they start to develop native L-mount glass. The 45/2.8 has a stepping motor, therefore also focus by wire.
(02-28-2020, 08:53 AM)JJ_SO Wrote:
(02-28-2020, 08:12 AM)davidmanze Wrote:

Don't shout all at once !!  Smile

Aaah, cattle grid dave's back!   Tongue Hiya, nearly missed you.

I deciphered three question marks, the first answered by two exclamation marks, so not to worry about that bugger.

You belong to the guys only seeing one manufacturer when it comes to L-mount stuff. And since you're too much of a DSLR grandpa, you wouldn't buy into mirror-less anyway, right, hard earned heritages and so on.

I guess, that Panasonic approach is simply not your cup of tea  Shy

But looking at their lens line-up, I'd say their first 3 lenses were a better choice than say, Nikon's Z weird-nesses. I tried a 70-200/4 and a 24-105/4. The 50/1.4 as well, but I'd go for the Art version anyway. The whole stuff is heavier, yes, but feels more solid and well thought than Z - they even offer a DECENT battery  grip (I was yelling at Nikon, not you dave).

Nikon needed 3 FW updates to get a sort of usable AF tracking, the electronic level blotch is still as ugly as it gets.

The L-system is supposed to offer 42 lenses (more than half of it adapted) by the end of 2020, heck, even if you'd like to blow 8k $ or £ to a lens: Leica has something for you which might just be more useful than a bloody MF 58 mm chunk.

I don't think Panasonic will ever get into "sold out" or "out of stock" troubles, but then again: Where's Nikon's 70-200/2.8? Not in your shelf and 3k$ in Nikon's pockets, it's still not available, the mystic 500/5.6 PF E - I touched it once but was hesitating to throw 4k$ at it. And now it's still not available. Having to choose between 58/0.95 MF and 35/1.2 AF I'd go for the wider.

Of the only 3 Panasonic lenses I tried so far Nikon doesn't offer anything similar. Panasonic covers natively a range of 24-200 mm.

Nikon? 2 years after start still no 70-200 S lens. May I call that "testimony of arrogance and incompetence"? No, they delivered some lenses, which once were the designated cheapo apertures.

If I were mainly into landscape and studio portraits, I "would have" already turned my back on the yellow logo.

One question mark = ...... an ordinary question.
    Two question marks = ....  are you serious??
    Three question marks = .. your must be kidding ..... you need check up from the neck up !! :Smile Wink 

What's with the cattle grid ?? ....... I take size 10/45 foot-ware so no probs!!

I'm probably ill informed as to your latest camera buys ...... I guess I blinked .... what is your L mount camera?
  It's not that it isn't my cup of tea ..... although it isn't, it's maybe just not for many that are not video centric ...... and that's most shooters.

Nikon is still trying to shake off it's reputation from it's mediocre AF-C start with continuing FW updates, but the principals are right and they're getting there ...... 
....Panasonic will need a complete rethink and will have to start from ground zero with OSPDAF ...... a risky plan that could take too long.
  Your 70-200mm F2.8 will turn up soon and will be worth the wait .... you've got enough glass to cover it in the meantime. 
 The Z8 is rumoured to have twin card slots and a portrait battery grip with all the buttonage .... as well as higher resolution ...... 

Well, I set the world to rights ...... and all before 11 o'clock Smile
(02-28-2020, 09:53 AM)davidmanze Wrote:  ...
What's with the cattle grid ?? ....... I take size 10/45 foot-ware so no probs!!

I'm probably ill informed as to your latest camera buys ...... I guess I blinked .... what is your L mount camera?

Nikon is still trying to shake off it's reputation from it's mediocre AF-C start with continuing FW updates, but the principals are right and they're getting there ......

Your 70-200mm F2.8 will turn up soon and will be worth the wait .... you've got enough glass to cover it in the meantime. 
 The Z8 is rumoured to have twin card slots and a portrait battery grip with all the buttonage .... as well as higher resolution ...... 

Cattle grid: https://forum.opticallimits.com/showthre...0#pid50250

I didn't say, I bought a Panasonic, did I? One can rent...

Nikon "getting there" - firmware updates can do a bit more than only improve AF (however it IS improved. From mediocre to mostly alright.)

My 70-200/2.8 got a collar with Arca-profile (= no Nikon!) and I will keep it as that's not a FL range I admire a lot. But delays due to quality issues, too late discovered (but after all, at least they did find them before customers did) - what makes that feel you? A 3k$ lens not ready to market like scheduled? A bit more work on a bread- and butter tool and postpone the exotics might have helped, who knows?

You don't think, I just get a new camera only because of some more pixels, do you? No, you don't. Smile
(02-28-2020, 10:27 AM)JJ_SO Wrote:
(02-28-2020, 09:53 AM)davidmanze Wrote:  ...

Cattle grid: https://forum.opticallimits.com/showthre...0#pid50250

I didn't say, I bought a Panasonic, did I? One can rent...

Nikon "getting there" - firmware updates can do a bit more than only improve AF (however it IS improved. From mediocre to mostly alright.)

My 70-200/2.8 got a collar with Arca-profile (= no Nikon!) and I will keep it as that's not a FL range I admire a lot. But delays due to quality issues, too late discovered (but after all, at least they did find them before customers did) - how does that make you feel? A 3k$ lens not ready to market like scheduled? A bit more work on a bread- and butter tool and postpone the exotics might have helped, who knows?

You don't think, I just get a new camera only because of some more pixels, do you? No, you don't. Smile

I saw the cattle grid photo ... I just didn't get it !!

Ok, so no Panasonic .... 

A 60 MPs sensor is not enough reason to buy, if it's a reason at all ....no. ..... it's all about the AF-C ...
(02-28-2020, 10:58 AM)davidmanze Wrote:    I saw the cattle grid photo ... I just didn't get it !!

Ok, so no Panasonic .... 

A 60 MPs sensor is not enough reason to buy, if it's a reason at all ....no. ..... it's all about the AF-C ...

Your dots act like cattle grids in a sentence. And you don't think the AF-C will become better in a Z 8 than it could be in Z 7 and Z 6? Especially since a 61 MP body is such a great action camera, haha.

But then, Sony α 7R IV has also 61 MP. 10 fps and the buffer lasts until 200 RAWs are in - but hey, we're in Nikon land, here the buffer runs out after 20 frames at 5.5 fps, 45.7 MP frames.