Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leica S3 announced
So when "full format" is just not enough ...

https://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/...S/Leica-S3
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(03-07-2020, 12:44 AM)Klaus Wrote: So when "full format" is just not enough ...

https://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/...S/Leica-S3

I'm surprised it's not actually mirror-less ....... 

You have to love Leica's "brochure speak" ...... the reader is bathed in superlatives with few details ......

"framing can be viewed and assessed on larger monitoring screens"

......this is handy as the 3" rear screen looks all but lost and dated on the rear of the camera's huge real estate, with it's paltry  921,000 pixels ...... on a camera at this price ? ..... (exactly the same specs as the Pentax K5's LCD ten years ago)

what is it about Leica's rear screens ..... have they still got a ware-house full of old ones ??? ..... usually they don't keep enough ....... oops....sorry Markus Smile

...... motion Jpg for video ?  ....

Leica have let things slip .....
My EOS 6D LCD has a 720x480 resolution, but it also shoots 3x2 aspect ratio.
I guess that Leica produces so few cameras that it takes a long time to get rid of the minimum stock they had to order?

Motion JPEG is a GOOD choice, quality wise. The same uninformed complaint keeps/kept popping up concerning the Canon EOS 5D mk IV, which also has motion JPEG. It is a very good choice for source material, compared to the low bit rate high compression codecs many other cameras use.

Leica has never been modern, so not sure when they let things slip, though ;-)
You might take a closer look, dave, if it‘s mirrorless or not...

And it already created a 300 post reader‘s feedback on DPReview. Leica‘s marketing can go back t9 their latte macchiatos, they are not needed to sell this thing to those with the money for it.

I also don‘t get why the rear LCD should be a problem. If it would be double the resolution, it would still be a small screen and not capable to show most of 63 MP. I think It‘s owners will shoot tethered if a huge resolution matters or just know what they do without chimping a ll the time. No matter what, I don‘t suspect it‘s buyers to be OL forum posters, so why even bother what Leica did or what not.

In any case, they caused bigger echo than some of other recent cameras...
(03-07-2020, 10:39 AM)JJ_SO Wrote: You might take a closer look, dave, if it‘s mirrorless or not...

And it already created a 300 post reader‘s feedback on DPReview. Leica‘s marketing can go back t9 their latte macchiatos, they are not needed to sell  this thing to those with the money for it.

I also don‘t get why the rear LCD should be a problem. If it would be double the resolution, it would still be a small screen and not capable to show most of 63 MP. I think It‘s owners will shoot tethered if a huge resolution matters or just know what they do without chimping a ll the time. No matter what, I don‘t suspect it‘s buyers to be OL forum posters, so why even bother what Leica did or what not.

In any case, they caused bigger echo than some of other recent cameras...
Quote:
"In addition to a Live View mode with a refresh rate up to 60 fps, the S3 also features an optical viewfinder with 0.87x magnification and approximately 98-percent coverage."

Frankly, with all the real estate of the back of the camera a 4" high def screen would have been the order of the day ..... to let the buyers "feel good" about it!

BC wrote:
"I guess that Leica produces so few cameras that it takes a long time to get rid of the minimum stock they had to order?"

So throw them in the dustbin then or sell them on ebay ..... when they are obviously outdated .... 

... the D750 has a res of 1.290 M dot screen ...... the D500 a 2.6 M dot touch screen ...... the difference when zooming in is night and day .... the former looks OK until you look at the D500, which is sharp sharp sharp  ..... ironically it stopped working ..... Nikon's price for the part was 115 euros plus labour and postage ...... so the cost of production will be half of that or less .... 

...no one can convince me that a 19,000 dollar camera couldn't have slipped in a screen that costs around 60 dollars to produce and which would have clearly been better .....

As for motion Jpg whether or not it's technically superior or not is not in question BC ............. the fact that nobody wants to use it once they have seen the ridiculous file sizes .... certainly is!

One of the things I love about Nikon with the D500 is the all out willingness they showed to "give the lot now" (as it was then) ....... a 2.6 M dot touch screen ...... 1X 100% optical viewfinder ...... 10 Fps with a 200 shot buffer ...... 153 point AF with complete configuration .... with perhaps the best ergonomics of any APSc body ever and they could easily spread over two three models ......
 Nikon showed true "willingness" to all ...... something they matched with the D850 !!!

I want to see that willingness when I buy a camera!

Leica always demands high prices for so-so technology. The back LCD does not matter much in the grand scheme of things.

This topic does not belong in this L-mount alliance forum, though...
(03-07-2020, 12:25 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: Leica always demands high prices for so-so technology. The back LCD does not matter much in the grand scheme of things.

Well at least we are the same lambda there at any rate BC ..... what price the dot?
(03-07-2020, 01:02 PM)davidmanze Wrote:
(03-07-2020, 12:25 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: Leica always demands high prices for so-so technology. The back LCD does not matter much in the grand scheme of things.

Well at least we are the same lambda there at any rate BC ..... what price the dot?

Leica M10: €6975
Leica M10-P: €7630

Price of the red dot: 6975 - 7630 = €-655

Leica M10-D: €7630
Price of the back LCD as used by Leica (3x2 aspect ratio in case of the M series): €7630 - €7630 = €0
Leica works as a business, because even with their newest products they address and serve the most conservative clients, it seems to me. No other company could successfully sell a product like the M-D, for example.

With almost all of their product lines they manage to wrap their client's urge for nostalgia into sometimes seemingly modern products, but most of all into big profits.
Editor
opticallimits.com

(03-07-2020, 03:50 PM)mst Wrote: Leica works as a business, because even with their newest products they address and serve the most conservative clients, it seems to me. No other company could successfully sell a product like the M-D, for example.

With almost all of their product lines they manage to wrap their client's urge for nostalgia into sometimes seemingly modern products, but most of all into big profits.

As a matter of interest ...... do you own a Leica .. at the moment ??