Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What lenses are compatible with older Canon EOS DSLR?
I own a Canon EOS 1100D camera that was released in 2011. 

What lenses are still compatible with this model?

Anyone please suggest me.

THANK YOU. 
Any EF mount lenses are compatible. 2011 isn't that old. :-) I've used all combinations of old and new, and never had any issues apart from some combos apparently requiring micro calibration, which is inevitable when you try so many of them.
(04-09-2020, 06:15 AM)DancingAlien Wrote: I own a Canon EOS 1100D camera that was released in 2011. 

What lenses are still compatible with this model?

All lenses with the EOS mount are compatible with one exception.

Compatible:
  • All Canon EF, TS-E, MP-E lenses
  • All Canon EF-S lenses
  • All Tamron lenses for Canon EOS (EF). That includes all pre-digital era Tamron EOS  mount lenses, all Tamron EOS mount Di lenses and Di II  (APS-C) lenses.
  • All Tokina Canon EOS mount lenses including the DX (APS-C) lenses.
  • All Sigma EOS mount DG (full frame) and DC (APS-C) lenses.
  • Samyang lenses for Canon EOS EF mount, both for FF and for APS-C.
  • Other Canon EOS EF mount lenses from other small companies like Zeiss, Voigtlander, Irix, Loawa.
Not compatible:
  • Sigma lenses before the digital age (no DG or DC in the name), that have not have their electronics updated many years ago. So stay clear of older second hand Sigma lenses.

You can not use Canon EF-M lenses (these are for EOS M cameras) , or Canon RF-mount lenses.

If you feel adventurous, you can also adapt old manual focus lenses made for other camera mounts to your 1100D with the help of adapters. Possible with lenses with Nikon F-mount, Canon FL/FD mount, Contax/Yashica C/Y mount, Leica R-mount, Pentax K-mount, M42 mount, Olympus OM mount.
The very old Sigma lenses are a bit of a gray zone... For example, I have the Sigma 14mm f/2.8 EX HSM lens that is not labelled DG - I believe there was never a DG version of that, it was just discontinued - which has worked fine on every Canon camera it's been paired with (40D, 1D Mark II N, 1D Mark III, 1D Mark IV, 1D X, 450D, 650D, 5D Mark II, 5D Mark III etc.) This model is from 1997/8 and has been discontinued in the mid-00s, so Sigma HSM lenses of similar vintage (denoted by the "crinkle" finish, or whatever it's called) are probably fine. Not so sure about the lenses from the "Zen" finish series that preceded it though.
(04-09-2020, 08:00 AM)Rover Wrote: The very old Sigma lenses are a bit of a gray zone... For example, I have the Sigma 14mm f/2.8 EX HSM lens that is not labelled DG - I believe there was never a DG version of that, it was just discontinued - which has worked fine on every Canon camera it's been paired with (40D, 1D Mark II N, 1D Mark III, 1D Mark IV, 1D X, 450D, 650D, 5D Mark II, 5D Mark III etc.) This model is from 1997/8 and has been discontinued in the mid-00s, so Sigma HSM lenses of similar vintage (denoted by the "crinkle" finish, or whatever it's called) are probably fine. Not so sure about the lenses from the "Zen" finish series that preceded it though.

A 1997 Sigma lens won't work (when operating the aperture). Just before the "DG" nomination, Sigma did exchange the electronics in their line up to make them compatible with the cameras that followed after the EOS D30 and D60. So your lens either was produced later than the 90's, or it had the electronics changed under the repair program Sigma used to offer for a few years.

DG (Digital Generation of lenses) did not stand for "compatible electronics" by the way... It designated improved back element coatings that minimised the strong purple fringing phenomenon that plagued early digital photography. The later introduced APS-C lenses sported the DC tag, C meaning crop (APS-C), which messed up the DG meaning a bit... DG now stands for "135 format full frame" basically.

Since you can not be sure if a non-DG FF Sigma lens is from before the electronics change or without electronics repair in the early 2000's, you best avoid them unless you can try them out before you buy (you take a photo with a closed down aperture setting, if no lens error occurs you are fine).
(04-09-2020, 08:58 AM)Brightcolours Wrote:
(04-09-2020, 08:00 AM)Rover Wrote: The very old Sigma lenses are a bit of a gray zone... For example, I have the Sigma 14mm f/2.8 EX HSM lens that is not labelled DG - I believe there was never a DG version of that, it was just discontinued - which has worked fine on every Canon camera it's been paired with (40D, 1D Mark II N, 1D Mark III, 1D Mark IV, 1D X, 450D, 650D, 5D Mark II, 5D Mark III etc.) This model is from 1997/8 and has been discontinued in the mid-00s, so Sigma HSM lenses of similar vintage (denoted by the "crinkle" finish, or whatever it's called) are probably fine. Not so sure about the lenses from the "Zen" finish series that preceded it though.

A 1997 Sigma lens won't work (when operating the aperture). Just before the "DG" nomination, Sigma did exchange the electronics in their line up to make them compatible with the cameras that followed after the EOS D30 and D60. So your lens either was produced later than the 90's, or it had the electronics changed under the repair program Sigma used to offer for a few years.

DG (Digital Generation of lenses) did not stand for "compatible electronics" by the way... It designated improved back element coatings that minimised the strong purple fringing phenomenon that plagued early digital photography. The later introduced APS-C lenses sported the DC tag, C meaning crop (APS-C), which messed up the DG meaning a bit... DG now stands for "135 format full frame" basically.

Since you can not be sure if a non-DG FF Sigma lens is from before the electronics change or without electronics repair in the early 2000's, you best avoid them unless you can try them out before you buy (you take a photo with a closed down aperture setting, if no lens error occurs you are fine).

I know what the DG designation meant. Smile My lens works regardless, and I've seen/heard of a few more specimens in the hands of other people, all work well.

I checked the Sigma UK history page and my lens is actually a 1998 model. It was one of the first EX designated Sigma lenses, and the (joint) third to get HSM focusing.
https://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/sigma-1...gust-1998/
The 1997 models (300/4, 400/5.6) were the last of the ones that required hardware updates, AFAIR. Some are still sold second hand but of course getting one would be a risky endeavor. So I guess the 1998 introduction date really is the cutoff.
Many folks purchasing a new camera pay little heed to lenses, treating them as an afterthought. But with the right lineup of lenses, you'll be able to capture wide-open landscapes, gorgeous close-ups of flowers, crisp portraits of your kids and long-distance shots of wildlife
Unfortunately, the initial question and the post by Mariams were posted by spam accounts and not meant seriously. But since there is useful information in the answers, I decided to not purge the accounts this time, but only ban them, since otherwise all posts and the answers, so the whole thread in this case, would be deleted.
Editor
opticallimits.com