Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The next review will be ...
Huh... I tried adapting one to my camera but stopped quickly as it was leaking oil.
My country has a lot of positive features but the quality of optics coming out of it (especially the old ones, though I have no idea of the modern products, if any) is definitely not one of them.
That notion notwithstanding, I'd be curious to find and adapt that Industar lens I saw kicking around my parents' home in the days of yore... just for giggles.
(04-15-2020, 12:25 PM)Rover Wrote: Huh... I tried adapting one to my camera but stopped quickly as it was leaking oil.
My country has a lot of positive features but the quality of optics coming out of it (especially the old ones, though I have no idea of the modern products, if any) is definitely not one of them.
That notion notwithstanding, I'd be curious to find and adapt that Industar lens I saw kicking around my parents' home in the days of yore... just for giggles.

....... Russian optics were known for using T34 tank grease, thick and black  ... which separates with the course of time into oil usually on the aperture blades ..... 
 ...... a grease change is recommended every three thousand miles ....... Smile

ah ..... that "Industar" !! (Leica M39mm mount) ..... one of the most unusable lenses on the planet ...... to have the aperture ring mounted "on the focusing ring" which is three times as stiff as the focusing ring itself ...... is just pure genius !! Smile

The Helios M44-2 solved that with it's very light to turn "preset ring" ........ the ultimate in deluxe features at the time ......

...... actually preset rings could still work today where there are no aperture automations with Chinese manual dumb lenses ....... a preset ring is much faster to turn with one finger than a click stop aperture ring.
It is fine to use such "silly old lenses" for the character they might add to images, or for whatever joy the hobbyist or photographer or artist may get from using the old thing... But requesting reviews that have a single purpose (measure for technical excellence) seems odd to me, and misses both the point of OL reviews and the point of using old optics.
Interestingly enough a lens that one reputable testing site has dismissed as "rough piece of trash" - claiming it to be unacceptably soft until stopped way down and at the same time very expensive - got high marks here in the 'Zone. I'm speaking of the Nikkor 58/1.4 which is often referred to as being soft - the "character" lens as those more lenient describe it. Smile

I don't hold any hope whatsoever for the old Soviet lenses to be anything but garbage when taken at face value... but it might be interesting to see - maybe just once - how the atrocity of the old lenses combines with the testing grounds and methods of the contemporary PZ/OL. Smile
(04-16-2020, 09:40 AM)Rover Wrote: Interestingly enough a lens that one reputable testing site has dismissed as "rough piece of trash" - claiming it to be unacceptably soft until stopped way down and at the same time very expensive - got high marks here in the 'Zone. I'm speaking of the Nikkor 58/1.4 which is often referred to as being soft - the "character" lens as those more lenient describe it. Smile

I don't hold any hope whatsoever for the old Soviet lenses to be anything but garbage when taken at face value... but it might be interesting to see - maybe just once - how the atrocity of the old lenses combines with the testing grounds and methods of the contemporary PZ/OL. Smile

Well here is a shot taken with the M44-2 at F8 .....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

You can also take the rear lens assembly off in the field ...... and here I placed a paper star which becomes the diaphragm only star shaped ......
 All the stars are just in fact standard street decorations ...........

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
The woman is the biggest star of that image Big Grin
(04-16-2020, 11:00 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: The woman is the biggest star of that image Big Grin

True dat!