Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latest on EOS R5
What if R5 video is just 2-3 minutes ??? remember overheating ?
or maybe Canon has been talking about a cooling system a lot lately, could this camera have it ?
If no space in the camera no problem they can always put everything in the grip, a cooling system, batteries, even a processor and say later on "8k video available only with optional grip attached"
(04-27-2020, 05:25 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: The R5 is a "sports camera" (fast FPS). It just has video features as extra,  

Hence my question about the refresh rate ........ the Sony A9 uses a 3.7 M dot EVF at 120 fps refresh rate ...... as opposed to the 60 fps of the A7III .......
 ...... the refresh rate will determine how much of a sports camera it is ..... and whether it's pitched at competing with the A9.

It seems to have sufficient computing power to do 120 fps and of course a 5.6 M dot EVF would be the icing on the cake .......

I also like the fact that the body is decent chunky size ........
(04-27-2020, 07:20 AM)toni-a Wrote: What if R5 video is just 2-3 minutes ??? remember overheating ?
or maybe Canon has been talking about a cooling system a lot lately, could this camera have it ?
If no space in the camera no problem they can always put everything in the grip, a cooling system, batteries, even a processor and say later on "8k video available only with optional grip attached"

No, I don't remember any Canon camera having overheating issues. You must be thinking "Sony"?
I was talking about heat in general caused by processing not Canon cameras.
Same retort applies. Canon has not been in the habit to release cameras that display (unreasonable) heat issues due to "processing".
(04-27-2020, 07:55 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: Same retort applies. Canon has not been in the habit to release cameras that display (unreasonable) heat issues due to "processing".

Exactly, Canon won't release any product with flaws they have been known for reliability and this is why mainly I didn't jump Sony last year.
We known that 8K needs a lot of processing and this could generate heat, so Canon either solved the issue with the processors and then thumbs up, or they created an innovative cooling method, my wild guess is they put the cooling apparatus in the grip. The third option which is highly unlikely they limit video to two or three minutes, however, I am 100% sure there's no way they release a camera that overheats.
Again my personal guess they could add video capacity to Canon 40D, isn't it weird it has live view without video ?? however they preferred to wait... for whatever reason either marketing or because it still had flaws and it was immature...
At frame rates like 8K at 24 Fps, in 10 bit with H265 compression ......... the camera has a data rate of how many Mbs/ second from the full frame sensor ??  ...... it sure must be a lot !! ..... I did try using a data rate program to calculate it .... but the result seemed pretty wild to me, as there was no provision of for H265 compression.

... ie. How long could you film with a 240 Gb card ........ BC do you have an idea?

With IBIS making the sensor a mobile item,  would make the sensor difficult to cool by mechanical heat conduction or liquid convection ..... which leaves what for cooling .... a fan ??
.... I was thinking of a Peltier diode stack ...... the sort that reverse polarity camping cooler/heaters use ..... but they are inefficient ...... so I doubt that ...... 

This camera poses ..."more, as yet, answered questions"... in terms of speed of processing ...... than any other ....
......sensor read speed / heat production / data write speed / AF-C processing / IBIS / EVF / exposure / button controls ...... and anything else it is called upon to do !!

.... talk about keeping all the balls in the air !!

I cant wait to see how it actually performs ..... and I've got feeling Sony are also hanging on "tenter-hooks".......
(04-27-2020, 07:53 AM)Brightcolours Wrote:
(04-27-2020, 07:20 AM)toni-a Wrote: What if R5 video is just 2-3 minutes ??? remember overheating ?

No, I don't remember any Canon camera having overheating issues. You must be thinking "Sony"?

(04-27-2020, 07:55 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: Same retort applies. Canon has not been in the habit to release cameras that display (unreasonable) heat issues due to "processing".

(04-28-2020, 07:31 AM)toni-a Wrote:

Exactly, Canon won't release any product with flaws they have been known for reliability and this is why mainly I didn't jump Sony last year.
We known that 8K needs a lot of processing and this could generate heat, so Canon either solved the issue with the processors and then thumbs up, or they created an innovative cooling method, my wild guess is they put the cooling apparatus in the grip. The third option which is highly unlikely they limit video to two or three minutes, however, I am 100% sure there's no way they release a camera that overheats.
Again my personal guess they could add video capacity to Canon 40D, isn't it weird it has live view without video ?? however they preferred to wait... for whatever reason either marketing or because it still had flaws and it was immature...

Sorry to break it to you but Canon already did release a camera with severe overheating issues: 70D. There was no overheating protection in those cameras and if you went on shooting video for long durations in hot conditions, it'd just melt some of the interanl soldering on the mainboard, thus killing the camera.

Look up Err 80 for Canon 70D.

Or not, Canon is the best brand after all. It's Sony's job to release cameras that overheat and turn themselves off.
We must be getting close to its release:

https://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/...w/hands_on

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....