Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is a Canon EOS 50D a viable starting point for a photographer in 2020?
FWIW Canon 15-85 is an excellent lens even compared to modern lenses, it's one of my favorites.
A surprisingly good lens is Canon 18-55f3.5-5.6 IS STM !!!!! a very decent performer with a tiny size and while being very affordable
Psst, pretty much all 18-55mm are good ;-)
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(06-10-2020, 09:29 AM)Klaus Wrote: Psst, pretty much all 18-55mm are good ;-)

LOL, yes and I should know, I have 3 versions of the EF-S 18-55mm. The one that came on the Rebel XTi which was my first DSLR, and the 18-55 with noisy motor and no IS was my first interchangeable lens!

Considering my humble origins, and the fact that the 17-85mm IS USM was my first "USM" lens, I thought I had hit the big time! If you avoided the 17-24mm range, and liked the higher class look it was pretty cool at the time. I did not like the fact that the AF very quickly failed. I was soon to get the 70D with the 18-55mm STM and 55-250mm IS STM kit lenses. I never saw any reason to get the 17-85mm IS USM fixed. So it has been put on a shelf indefinitely!

-Mac
750D plus 18-55 is an awesome combo for hiking, lightweight and very decent image quality, you don't need f2.8 and faster for such trips. that's why I keep 7D2 and EOSRP at home and use it, when I am not in group and I can take my time and do some birding it's 7D2 that I prefer though
(06-11-2020, 06:32 AM)toni-a Wrote: 750D plus 18-55 is an awesome combo for hiking, lightweight and very decent image quality, you don't need f2.8 and faster for such trips. that's why I keep 7D2 and EOSRP at home and use it, when  I am not in group and I can take my time and do some birding it's 7D2 that I prefer though

EOS M5 plus 18-55mm are an awesommer combo for hiking, if you prefer EVF ;-)
Although both are good performers, I would still prefer a small SLR, it has better grip in my hands, 100 grams weight gain easily compensated with extra batteries I have to carry with me, in sunlight the EVF is better and no need to turn camera on and off to save batteries.
I did try Sony A6000 and EOSRP for hiking and I still prefer SLR, at least for me the major advantage for mirrorless is eye autofocus and focus precision plus very adequate metering for portraiture, I need none of them for hiking