Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canon RF 50f1.8 RF 70-200f4 RF 800f11 and others coming
https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/...-this-year

Canon at least thought of prosumers this time... 
We still need a compact RF standard zoom.
Rf 85mmf2.0 macro... À good reason to sell 85f1.8 and 100mm macro and get it?
I would have prefered a 100mm+ f2 to f2.8 macro lens, but I am definitely interested in that 85mm f2 macro as a dual purpose macro/portrait lens. Two of my favorite lenses in the Fuji system were the 60mm macro and the 50mm f2 after all.

Hopefully it comes at $600-800 thanks to that moderate aperture.
600/800mm f/11? Is it April 1st again? Not that I don't like the idea but I am probably in the minority about this.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Well, if they can make 'em really cheap, like less than $250, and very light to bring along, I guess I could see myself getting one when you just need the reach on a hike.
(06-10-2020, 03:10 AM)Klaus Wrote: 600/800mm f/11? Is it April 1st again? Not that I don't like the idea but I am probably in the minority about this.

I'm struggling to make any sense out of this telephoto strategy ....... 

.......... who in the world would opt for a 600/800mm f11 .... is this the return to doughnut bokeh on a mirror-lens ????  Smile

......  not really adapted for sports, (light issues .. dim stadiums) ....
 ....... these are only useful for birding/nature where shutter speeds will be high and will lead to correspondingly high image noise even on the FF sensor  ..... so only " usable"  in bright sunny conditions.

The 150-600mm third party zooms have brought wildlife sports to the masses with affordable modest aperture lenses of F6.3 at the long end and have proved themselves ....... having the ability to zoom out for those larger creatures you have a half decent F5 for example ........ very practical !!

I can't think of any person saying to themselves.....

"I need an F11 600mm ...... because with it's 2X converter I have a 1200mm F22 lens.!!"...... errr yeah ?????

Actually I ran some tests on the Nikkor 600mm F4E ..... sharpness drops off at F11 from diffraction (slightly)..... 

There are many nonsensical aspects to these two lenses and I can't see why anyone would choose them over any other lens manufacturer's sensible general purpose offerings! ....... are these a retractable design ??
First, Canon already has 600mm f4 and 800mm f5.6 lenses to mount on any EOS R camera, it is not as if RF mount lenses like that will be smaller or lighter, just because of the mount differences.
If this rumoured 800mm f11 is inexpensive and comparatively lightweight, it does make sense. The loss of sharpness due to diffraction can be mostly compensated by Canon's DPP software with the appropriate lens profile.
How a 600mm f11 prime from Canon will have to compete with 3rd party 150-600mm zooms, not sure. We will see which lenses actually will materialise.

And the donut bokeh of mirror lenses is due to the mirrors, not due to the small f-number ;-), Dave. And how often do you do your birder thing when it is not bright and sunny? ;-)
Honestly, such a lens could make sense for wildlife photography. There are only a few who'd really carry an 800mm f/5.6 USM L IS on a safari really - let alone buy one.

A Sony 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3 G OSS has a weight of just over 2kg. In the very theory, a 600mm f/11 should weigh half of that - and, of course, cost less.

If this isn't a joke, I'm wondering why they are planning to release two of them at once though.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
I don't know all the implications of the dual-pixel sensor in conjunction with AF capability on a mirrorless RF, but could it be that the 800mm F/11 prime could actually have good performance when paired with the right sensor? Am I wrong thinking the lens would be not a lot larger in diameter than the EF 400 f/5.6L, but be much longer, and hopefully have IS?

I don't know what the sensor limitations are...

Did they get a new boss over at Canon?

-Mac
(06-10-2020, 08:12 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: 1:
First, Canon already has 600mm f4 and 800mm f5.6 lenses to mount on any EOS R camera, it is not as if RF mount lenses like that will be smaller or lighter, just because of the mount differences.

2:
If this rumoured 800mm f11 is inexpensive and comparatively lightweight, it does make sense. The loss of sharpness due to diffraction can be mostly compensated by Canon's DPP software with the appropriate lens profile.
How a 600mm f11 prime from Canon will have to compete with 3rd party 150-600mm zooms, not sure. We will see which lenses actually will materialise.

3:
And the donut bokeh of mirror lenses is due to the mirrors, not due to the small f-number ;-), Dave. And how often do you do your birder thing when it is not bright and sunny? ;-)
  3:  I think I know mirror- lens doughnut bokeh is down to the mirrors BC .. really !!
...... the inference was "is it a mirror-lens?"  (tongue in cheek joke ha ha!!) ....... which of course it won't be .....

I go birding when it's sunny mainly yes for the pop !!...... and as I said the 600/800mm F11 will only usable in sunny weather (for anything that moves) .......
....... but the G2/Sony/Sport is 1 2/3rds stops brighter at 600mm ..... and at 150mm it's 2 1/3rd stops brighter ...... that's huge BC !!  .... and the difference between 600mm and 800mm isn't !! .. 
 Those who chose the Sony 200-600mm will be getting the best deal as the their 1.4X TC hardly drops the IQ and you get a 840mm F7.1 lens.

How can you argue with that ??
The two f/11 teles are supposed to be DO lenses. So, no mirror lenses and luckily no onion ring bokeh.

Still, I honestly don't get it. With f/11 and DO elements the lenses will no doubt be quite compact, I'm sure. But f/11 limits the usability to a fairly small niche.

If they use DO elements already, why not make them at least a little faster (while still being slower than the heavy and expensive super teles)?
Editor
opticallimits.com