Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canon RF 50f1.8 RF 70-200f4 RF 800f11 and others coming
(06-10-2020, 08:31 PM)toni-a Wrote: What if the super tele primes were rather compact and Canon managed to make cheap high quality fresnel elements ?

If they are really DO lenses, one can of course expect them to be quite compact.

Still, at least for me that wouldn't change anything. Actually, f/11 is usually the smallest aperture I choose (and only if I have to), unless I set the camera to shutter priority (like for panning shots).

BC mentioned the Nikon PF lenses already: very compact, too, but just one stop slower than their super-tele siblings. However, not really cheap, especially not the 500 PF.
Editor
opticallimits.com

(06-10-2020, 08:31 PM)toni-a Wrote: What if the super tele primes were rather compact and Canon managed to make cheap high quality fresnel elements ?

Canon manages high quality DO elements, that is a given And at f11, their smaller size will keep costs relatively low. Question is, will many people want f11 at 600mm?
It's a bit of a strange discussion ;-)

I still have the Leica 100-400mm f/4.5-6.3 OIS on my desk. Or in other words - a 200-800mm f/9-12.6 - and it is capable of taking very nice pictures. ;-)

A 600mm f/11 FF prime will be better still. If I was Canon I would have designed it to f/8 but then let's see what they'll come up with. It'll be exciting in any case.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Canon proposed two lenses not one, this means it will be a trend... so very likely they have something... hopefully it is not an autofocus mirror lens
Minolta did make a 500mmf8 autofocus mirror lens in the past, let's see if Canon would go this way
the possibility of DO is also not ruled out, with an f11 lens and the DO element in the rear, they need just a tiny DO element and this might push prices down
(06-11-2020, 06:22 AM)toni-a Wrote: Canon proposed two lenses not one, this means it will be a trend... so very likely they have something... hopefully it is not an autofocus mirror lens
Minolta did make a 500mmf8 autofocus mirror lens in the past, let's see if Canon would go this way
the possibility of DO is also not ruled out, with an f11 lens and the DO element in the rear, they need just a tiny DO element and this might push prices down

Bringing up mirror lens out of nowhere has no reason, Toni.

The rumour are specifically about f11 (light) DO (short) lenses. It is a rumour, not a "Canon proposal", by the way.
(06-10-2020, 08:55 PM)mst Wrote: BC mentioned the Nikon PF lenses already: very compact, too, but just one stop slower than their super-tele siblings. However, not really cheap, especially not the 500 PF.
...............................................................................................................................................................................

A friend has the Nikkor PF 500mm F5.6 VR  ........  

" an amazingly compact and lightweight lens" ..... looking much like a 300mm F4 ....... uncannily so ..... almost tiny.

..... incredibly sharp with rock solid  VR ...... even the bokeh is excellent  .... in fact it would fool many into thinking the images are from the 500mm F4E ..... it's that good !!
  It is however, 4,000 euros and hen's teeth rare ........ but worth every penny .... as it will hold it's value forever .... (S/H copies were selling for more than new)

Nikon's patented 600mm F5.6 version is promised at some time ..... (come on Nikon!)

..... the 500 PF passed almost unnoticed here in OL land ....... Smile

One of yesterdays golden hour shots at F4.5 ...... from the 600mm E

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
(06-11-2020, 07:15 AM)davidmanze Wrote: One of yesterdays golden hour shots at F4.5 ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
A golden shot thumbs up, keep them coming
Great shot, David!

(06-11-2020, 07:15 AM)davidmanze Wrote:    .....it's passed almost unnoticed here in OL land ....... Smile

Well, even that one already targets a very small niche Wink

I have honestly been very tempted by the 500 PF, because I loved the 300 PF and its size. I handled the 500 PF at the last photokina, it is amazingly small and light.

Still, I'd love to add some reach with a TC, and then f/5.6 becomes an issue already. And, as you already mentioned, availability is another one.

At least for now I ended up with a 500/4 VR (not the FL) that will teach me all the lessons of how to handle such a beast... and what to shoot with it Wink

However, in the long run I might aim for a 400 FL VR instead, combined with both TCs.
Editor
opticallimits.com

(06-11-2020, 07:52 AM)mst Wrote: Great shot, David!

(06-11-2020, 07:15 AM)davidmanze Wrote:    .....it's passed almost unnoticed here in OL land ....... Smile

Well, even that one already targets a very small niche Wink

I have honestly been very tempted by the 500 PF, because I loved the 300 PF and its size. I handled the 500 PF at the last photokina, it is amazingly small and light.

Still, I'd love to add some reach with a TC, and then f/5.6 becomes an issue already. And, as you already mentioned, availability is another one.

At least for now I ended up with a 500/4 VR (not the FL) that will teach me all the lessons of how to handle such a beast... and what to shoot with it Wink

However, in the long run I might aim for a 400 FL VR instead, combined with both TCs.
thanks Markus !!

Well, how "gloriously refreshing" to hear an OL "super moderator" extolling the vertues of a professional bright telephoto prime ........ Smile

........ and with aspirations towards an even brighter F2.8 400mm FL VR ...... 

....... your on the right track ..... Smile
I am wondering how enjoyable would it be to Klaus to test the 800mmf11