Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Defective XF 14mm f/2.8 or defective user ?
...I bought a used lens from Adorama just over 30 day ago and was having a fine time with it until I tried to shoot a cloud scape  today...

...I could not get the lens to focus on the sky...it does not seem able to focus to infinity...

...even when I tried manual focus it keeps hunting and will not focus...

...other, closer subjects seem to be fine...

...I wish I had tried infinity before...I have been shooting in the woods mostly...
(07-01-2020, 01:03 AM)Hapo Wrote: ...I bought a used lens from Adorama just over 30 day ago and was having a fine time with it until I tried to shoot a cloud scape  today...

...I could not get the lens to focus on the sky...it does not seem able to focus to infinity...

...even when I tried manual focus it keeps hunting and will not focus...

...other, closer subjects seem to be fine...

...I wish I had tried infinity before...I have been shooting in the woods mostly...

XF 14mmF2.8 has a focus clutch mechanism, meaning that moving the af ring back and forth engages/disengages the MF capability. I think it is some of few Fujinon lenses with mechanical, rather than focus-by-wire mechanism. Because of that, changing the mode from camera may not give you proper AF.

Try moving the clutch and see if you can achieve focus with MF, and then - AF.

I have this issue all the time when the lens get in MF in my bag and then my pics are all OOF.
You just can't have too many lenses...
...I had thought that was the problem at first...that had happened on several occasions...this added to the confusion, eh...

...other than this focusing issue, the only things I do not like aboot this lens is how easy it is to accidentally manipulate the controls and that it does not focus very close...

...I have still managed some nice images with it...the lens was becoming a favorite...

...when I finally got the auto focus to disengage the manual focus would not resolve on anything...oddly when set at full auto the focus mechanism seemed to work normally...

...when the manual focus would not focus at any distance I finally called Adorama and they were willing and able to replace the lens...

...part of the problem was that I was only using it set at full auto for a while...they extended their return policy to accommodate my ignorance...

...I did not start having issues until I started using other settings and assumed I was doing it wrong, which may have been the case as well...
...well, the new lens has exactly the same issues...

...the most dramatic is that it will not resolve an image manually...

...my 18-55 and 55-200 seem to function and focus normally...

...is there some reason this lens would be incompatible with the X-T30 body...???...

...I could see me just being too ignorant to figger out some arcane setting but the inability to manually focus the lens is kind of a deal breaker...

...the good thing here is that the Laowa 65mm Macro lens is back in stock....
(07-04-2020, 08:50 AM)Hapo Wrote: ...when I finally got the auto focus to disengage the manual focus would not resolve on anything...

May I ask how you mean this? When you change to MF, the focus ring (and the distance scale) should move when you turn the ring. Don't they?

Apart from that: From my experience, the X-T30 needs a good target (something with high contrast) to focus on. Something with almost no structure (like for example a huge white cloud) doesn't work well.
Editor
opticallimits.com