Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Updated Olympus lens roadmap 2020
Why not the E-M5 III? I'm still circling around this one.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(08-13-2021, 10:55 AM)Klaus Wrote: Why not the E-M5 III? I'm still circling around this one.

Well, personally, I found the E-M1 just falls better in the hand, for me anyway. Like the EOS R. I don't have that with the E-M5s, probably because of the deeper handgrip on the E-M1s.

I had an E-M5 for about a year, and exchanged it for the E-M1 II when it came out. Very happy with it Smile.

Also, AF-wise the E-M1s appear to be a little better.
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
I don't doubt that the ergonomics of the E-M1 are better - for bigger boys at least.

But I've always been wondering about the AF claims vs the E-M1 III.
The sensor is the same (hence the AF modules) and it shares the TruePic XIII engine with the E-M1 II.
If the E-M5 III is really worse (based on the latest firmware), it is probably software-crippled.
I can't imagine that it is economical to develop different motherboards for these two - this may also explain why the E-M1 II still exists. It probably just doesn't cost much to manufacture it alongside the E-M5 III. It's basically just a different case.

I reckon I will wait for the E-M1 IV or M5 IV (or G9 II?).

FWIW, I've got the 12-45mm f/4 PRO here for testing. What a cute little zoom lens.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(08-13-2021, 11:41 PM)Klaus Wrote: FWIW, I've got the 12-45mm f/4 PRO here for testing. What a cute little zoom lens.

The local photographer shooting for Associated Press, the famous Dmitry Lovetsky, is using this one. Smile So it's really PRO enough. Big Grin
(08-13-2021, 11:41 PM)Klaus Wrote: I don't doubt that the ergonomics of the E-M1 are better - for bigger boys at least.
I am not in the latter category at all, TBVH. It isn't all that much bigger, millimeters, but the grip is quite a bit deeper.

Ergonomics is a very personal thing, and to me it just feels better.

Quote:But I've always been wondering about the AF claims vs the E-M1 III.
The sensor is the same (hence the AF modules) and it shares the TruePic XIII engine with the E-M1 II.
If the E-M5 III is really worse (based on the latest firmware), it is probably software-crippled.
I can't imagine that it is economical to develop different motherboards for these two - this may also explain why the E-M1 II still exists. It probably just doesn't cost much to manufacture it alongside the E-M5 III. It's basically just a different case.
It is all about the different AF algorithms they use in the E-M1 series, for eye-recognition and such. The boards are actually not identical as far as I am aware. Maybe the sensors are, but the processing boards are not.
Quote:I reckon I will wait for the E-M1 IV or M5 IV (or G9 II?).
I won't upgrade overnight either. I am quite happy with what I have availlable currentlly, althoug a Pen-F Mk II would be quite interesting indeed Wink.

Quote:FWIW, I've got the 12-45mm f/4 PRO here for testing. What a cute little zoom lens.

Oooh, nice! Looking forard to the review ....

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....