Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EOS R5 and R6 prices
The D850 is an excellent machine, if only it had n AA-filter and EOS mount and ....... "feeble dynamic range" .... I'd be wanting one  ;-)  ha ha !!

I think Sony sensors are pretty much second to none ......

"the D500, the 500mm PF and the D850 ...... the latter two being on back-order for over a year" ......

BC replied:

"Can the D850 both be on back order AND out of fashion at the same time?"

It is possible but not the case here ......

Release date D850 ......         August 2017

Release date 500mm PF ....  August 2018

The rush and overnight camping in front of stores was over two years ago for the D850 ......... similarly the 500mm PF finally found it's way to new owners ..... the years are up ....... times have moved on  ....

....... now's the time for fashionable indifference !!
It is being talked about R5 and overheating issues
However 30 minutes shooting is understandable ( and expected by many) IMHO however thuis limit is only valid at 23 degrees in the shade, if you are shooting in sunlight in hotter temperatures it should be even lower.
Let's also keep in mind that 8k 30 minutes that's 200GB
to have an idea about how many people do need this let's see how many are using 250GB cards and up with adequate speeds of at least 150Mb/s
(07-11-2020, 09:39 AM)toni-a Wrote: It is being talked about R5 and  overheating issues
However 30 minutes shooting is understandable ( and expected by many) IMHO  however thuis limit is only valid at 23 degrees in the shade, if you are shooting in sunlight in hotter temperatures it should be  even lower.
Let's also keep in mind that 8k 30 minutes that's 200GB
to have an idea about how many people do need this let's see how many are using 250GB cards and up with adequate speeds of at least 150Mb/s

Canon's official overheating specs:

20 mins of 8K recording at 23°C in the shade before overheating ......... recovery period 10 mins (cool down) for another 3 mins recording ....... 20 mins cool down for 8 mins further recording.
.... 4K@60 Fps .... 35 mins recording ..... cool down 10 mins for a further 10 mins.
.... 4K @30 Fps ... 30 mins recording ..... similar cool down .....

... and how long will it record for example here, where it is 33°C in the shade?? ...... and worse in full sunshine ?? .... many are predicting 1/3-1/2 of the time quoted.

..... sensor overheating that has been a main headline of 4K video ....... and Canon did well to not mention a word about it ..... it had to be dug out by Utube reviewers!

P.S. ..... there is also a 30 minutes video time limit ....
That's better than what Sony offers in FHD on plenty of current cameras...
IMHO for most of us that's quite enough.
(07-12-2020, 04:31 PM)toni-a Wrote: That's better than what Sony offers in FHD on plenty of current cameras...

I'm really wondering what the overheating stuff is about in general - regardless of whether it's Canon or Sony.
I can think of a few use cases where an hour-long continuous video could make sense but I've a hard time believing these are mainstream applications for such hybrid cameras. A hybrid is a compromise by nature - and in this case, it's the heat dispersion due to the small camera body. It's not as if you don't have options in the dedicated video camera market.

BTW, Toni - ever since you had the Sony A6000 with the ultra-crappy 16-50mm - which we all warned you about - you are bashing Sony. Fact is that Sony has very capable cameras and lenses that are competing on the same level as Canon overall. Just because there's a Canon label on something doesn't make it the holy grail yet.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(07-12-2020, 11:11 PM)Klaus Wrote:
(07-12-2020, 04:31 PM)toni-a Wrote: That's better than what Sony offers in FHD on plenty of current cameras...

BTW, Toni - ever since you had the Sony A6000 with the ultra-crappy 16-50mm - which we all warned you about - you are bashing Sony. Fact is that Sony has very capable cameras and lenses that are competing on the same level as Canon overall. Just because there's a Canon label on something doesn't make it the holy grail yet.
My problem with Sony is actually reliability issues and frequent failures rather than performance, for instance 16-50 has died since six months, A6000 is having recurrent issues with shutter button leading to camera freezing.
Back to overheating issues, I only complained about it once on A6000 when I was shooting a celebration at our local church otherwise it's perfectly fine for me.
For professional use as said before, if you are using several cameras or video and audio recording are done separately you do need lengthy time shooting, when merging different takes and adding sound you do syncing once then you select the take you want to show in the final movie in software. Otherwise the editors will have nightmares syncing videos and more difficult syncing sound and you might get into lip syncing issues in the final video. when shooting a wedding for instance you never stop recording from the beginning till the end even during idle moments unless you are the only cameraman and you are registering sound with your camera.
If one is going to make some weird 8K art house movie with half hour takes, or a nature documentary in the Sahara where you need to film in long takes in the hope of capturing something worthwhile, maybe a (single?) EOS R5 is not the right equipment.
Honestly - if you are serious about 8K movies, just bite the bullet and buy a RED Helium or Monstro
https://www.red.com/dsmc2

And if you are a vlogger, you really don't need 8K in the first place.

I reckon you may need more than an hour for:
* sports
* conferences
* some kind of surveillance
* timelapse
* weddings?

Whether 8K and/or an R5 if needed for that ... well ...

That being said - if you are a photographer, 8K could be nice for selecting the perfect shot if your subject is particularly nervous. Meercats! ;-)
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Of those I know everyone is shooting FHD 24 fps , nobody is (yet) into 4K and it is perfectly fine for all the customers.
(07-13-2020, 09:16 AM)toni-a Wrote: Of those I know everyone is shooting FHD 24 fps , nobody is (yet) into 4K and it is  perfectly fine for all the customers.

Yes, 1080p is fine, 4k, 5.5/6k, 8k is mostly for specs lovers (like the focus on silly DR figures, really).