Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Megapixels
Hallo everybody,

If you could customize the camera sensor, how many megapixels would you put in? 

Funny question. Any senior sensor designers amongst us?

I would like to have a FF 40 MP between ISO 100 and 1.600 and a genial possibilty to switch 4 pixels to a bigger one which comes in action from 3.200, resulting in 10 MP but up to 100.000 ISO. Without AA filter and mirrorless, of course.

36 MP into a 6x6 sensor. I could even be happy with 25 MP and make it cheaper. All that into a CFV back for Hasselblad 500C/M.

6x9 sensor with the same density as the a7r ii. That's about 26Mpix. Preferably with pixel shift to remove the Bayern color undersampling
Quote:6x9 sensor with the same density as the a7r ii. That's about 26Mpix. Preferably with pixel shift to remove the Bayern color undersampling
I can't make sense of these specs?

The A7r II has a 36x24mm sensor with 40mp.

a 6x9 (which is a medium format format) with the same density? That won't make 26 Mp....
 As lenses have to improve to get any real benefit from the high pixel density as has been seen here from the 50Mp 5DR, unless we are able to pay top dollar it doesn't seem of any real benefit to have multi zillion Mps sensors!

Quote: As lenses have to improve to get any real benefit from the high pixel density as has been seen here from the 50Mp 5DR, unless we are able to pay top dollar it doesn't seem of any real benefit to have multi zillion Mps sensors!
It does pay. The sharpening method used in the tests skews things a little, but look at the high numbers achieved in the center. You do get more resolution with higher MP sensors, and in worst case you do not get less. 

Question is, do you need the higher resolution? And do you want to bother with the big file sizes and longer processing times?
I'm quite content with my 16MP camera. To tell you the truth, I'm only using L size when travelling, otherwise it's M1 (12 MP). The only other time when I switch out of it is if I know that I'll have to do major crops in a reach-limited situation. So 16 MP is plenty for me anyway.

Oh btw, somebody is coming up with a 5x5 digital back.

That's inches, not cm.

http://www.largesense.com/products/4x5-l...back-ls55/

And somebody already had a 8x10 digital back built to order.

[Image: Maxback-Feinberg.jpg]

With a mindblowing 10 MP.