Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Megapixels
Something is off in one post or the other... it doesn't match at all unless that's a toy cellphone in the first pic.

Quote:You'd be surprised. 8x10 lenses are not big at all.

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]
Quote:Something is off in one post or the other... it doesn't match at all unless that's a toy cellphone in the first pic.
No, these lenses indeed are for large format technical cameras.

They are "small" mainly because of 2 things:

1. They are designed with a huge flange distance in mind. So, they can cover a big area on the projection side.
  2. When you look into equivalency, they have comparatively small apertures. An f8 lens on FF can be very small also.
A 3rd reason: they use "old" optics technology. A Canon EF 50mm f1.4 is a lot smaller than a new tech. Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art or Zeiss 50mm f1.4 Milvus.
Quote:Every time I read Obican posts and passion about large format cameras, I feel like getting a large format film camera and starting with large format photography...
Would you have a place that sells large aperture film, a place that can develop the film, a place that can make prints from that film, or alternatively a way to scan large film into high quality files? 
Quote:Would you have a place that sells large aperture film, a place that can develop the film, a place that can make prints from that film, or alternatively a way to scan large film into high quality files?
You know I moved from full frame to crop sensor for size and weight, I am heading the opposite way in real life.

But sometimes you just have a temptation...

However I wouldn't mind trying such a gear on rental basis for a day 😊

Obican has such knowledge and passion for large format you really feel the temptation to try it.