Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ lens test report: Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 USM L IS II
meh ...

http://www.opticallimits.com/canon_eos_f...105f4ismk2

LensRentals also just tested the lens (only resolution). They weren't impressed either. The big plus with version II seemed to be less sample variation then the version I.

We got ourselves a new punching bag! I just compared the figures for the old and new lenses (both at 21MP), and the old one... is generally a little better. That's probably within the sample variation bounds, but still... for shame!

P. S. The 21MP resolution charts from 24 to 70mm are wrong: they have f/2.8 as the largest aperture. Smile

Quote:We got ourselves a new punching bag! I just compared the figures for the old and new lenses (both at 21MP), and the old one... is generally a little better. That's probably within the sample variation bounds, but still... for shame!

P. S. The 21MP resolution charts from 24 to 70mm are wrong: they have f/2.8 as the largest aperture. Smile

Sigh ... there's always something ... ;-)

Thx!
Quote:LensRentals also just tested the lens (only resolution). They weren't impressed either. The big plus with version II seemed to be less sample variation then the version I.

Well, I had to test two samples ...
Quote:Sigh ... there's always something ... ;-)

And some more ...

now, the "Analysis" part of the test contains the charts of

the 21Mpix analysis twice ... (rather than the 50Mpix charts

first and then the 21Mpix charts, as it has been first).

Also, there is a stray "2" in the 105mm section between

the upper part containing the numbers and the lwer part containing the graphs.

In all, the test shows, that my expectation about this lens was right.

Quote:And some more ...

now, the "Analysis" part of the test contains the charts of

the 21Mpix analysis twice ... (rather than the 50Mpix charts

first and then the 21Mpix charts, as it has been first).

Also, there is a stray "2" in the 105mm section between

the upper part containing the numbers and the lwer part containing the graphs.

In all, the test shows, that my expectation about this lens was right.
Expectations about image quality are low,  but not for the sales, this lens will be very likely bundled with the 5D MKiV and 6D and it will sell like hot cakes.

The best selling  lenses aren't always  the best  ones, check the sales of 75-300f4-5.6 
And didn't we think that the CZ 24-70/4 for Sony E cameras is bad... If it is, then what do we call this?

Hot Lemon Cake?
So on top of the "meh" optical performance, we have once again issues with quality control (decentering, focus accuracy).  I seem to remember that the mk1 was also had issues with this.

So much for the red ring being an guarantee of quality....