Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
jpeg out of camera (which is good enough) ?
Quote:I'd rather leave the camera on RAW+JPEG all the time than miss that one very good image.

When you leave the camera on RAW + JPEG you get a JPEG file as well. But when you shoot only RAW 100% of the time you have no choice but to deal with images and spend time post processing.

I find it impossible that people have every single image that is so special that it had to be shot in RAW and RAW only.

It is as if it is a badge of honour and that you need to tell everyone. It's like those people who have this need to stress out that they shoot 100% in M mode. It is preposterous to have this stand.

The wife asked me today to take a photo of a letter of hers and send it by email. She just needed some telephone numbers and the like on the letter. I shot it with my iPad and sent it without any changes.

But there are people on the planet, apparently, who would have shoot this with their best camera and lens, and in RAW! Really?

As a side note, let me explain some benefits of (Nikon's) JPEG:

- they are significantly smaller (sometimes I shoot 5000 images on a weekend)

- you can view them from your card without any special RAW decoder

- Nikon's profiles are already as good as they get 

(Nikon has a team of engineers working out the best possible JPEG files. Are people so arrogant that they think that as individuals they can do a better job then Nikon?)

- If you don't have Nikon's camera profiles who's exactly do you use? Adobe's is good but I think that Nikon's propriety algorithms are just a bit better)

- having a JPEG already gives you a great starting point when you work on the RAW (for comparisons)

- having JPEGs allow you to stitch panoramas quickly for inspection. You can then use RAW files to extract richer details

There are more reasons but from my experience I can say that there is nothing wrong with shooting JPEG.

Messages In This Thread
jpeg out of camera (which is good enough) ? - by Guest - 11-17-2016, 12:44 PM
jpeg out of camera (which is good enough) ? - by davidmanze - 11-18-2016, 09:28 AM
jpeg out of camera (which is good enough) ? - by Studor13 - 11-18-2016, 10:54 AM
jpeg out of camera (which is good enough) ? - by Guest - 11-18-2016, 02:25 PM
jpeg out of camera (which is good enough) ? - by Studor13 - 11-18-2016, 03:53 PM
jpeg out of camera (which is good enough) ? - by davidmanze - 11-18-2016, 05:16 PM
jpeg out of camera (which is good enough) ? - by Studor13 - 11-18-2016, 06:05 PM
jpeg out of camera (which is good enough) ? - by davidmanze - 11-18-2016, 09:39 PM
jpeg out of camera (which is good enough) ? - by Studor13 - 11-19-2016, 06:55 AM
jpeg out of camera (which is good enough) ? - by davidmanze - 11-19-2016, 07:49 AM
jpeg out of camera (which is good enough) ? - by Studor13 - 11-19-2016, 01:30 PM
jpeg out of camera (which is good enough) ? - by davidmanze - 11-22-2016, 08:52 AM