•  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pentax K-3 III details
Last article from the series, about image quality:
https://pentaxofficial.com/en/8367/

According to Nokishita, ""PENTAX K-3 Mark III Body (Black / Silver)", "PENTAX K-3 Mark III Kit (Black / Silver)" and "Battery Grip D-BG8" have been added to overseas dealers. Reservations should start within a week."
(03-26-2021, 09:45 AM)Kunzite Wrote: Last article from the series, about image quality:

According to Nokishita, ""PENTAX K-3 Mark III Body (Black / Silver)", "PENTAX K-3 Mark III Kit (Black / Silver)" and "Battery Grip D-BG8" have been added to overseas dealers. Reservations should start within a week."

Bring it on !!
Market launch on April 23rd?
"It seems that the planned release date of the Pentax "K-3 Mark III Body (Black / Silver)" and "K-3 Mark III Premium Kit (Black / Silver)" will be April 23, 2021. Premium kits are limited to 1,000 units worldwide. "
https://twitter.com/nokishita_c/status/1...4005709825
Cool, every Pentaxian can acquire a premium kit.
Well, this does look quite impressive actually

It's just a pity that their lens lineup is quite outdated.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
It hurts me to write these words, because I started using Pentax SLR equipment almost 30 years ago and Pentax cameras accompany more than half of my live. And (at least in relation to my status as an amateur photographer with not much time for my hobby) I'm heavily invested into K-mount.

But with todays processing capabilities in modern cameras, the advantages of getting a live signal from the sensor are so obvious, I don't believe that Pentax can significantly improve autofocus with K3 MKIII, which is the most important limitation for me currently.

If you aren't a landscape photographer, nowadays you may just want to have eye detection, which isn't possible with SLR.

Metering is also much easier when you have proper object tracking in place...

And when I read those statements from Pentax status updates, full of marketing blah-blah.

ISO 1,600,000, seriously?

So let's see what they deliver, but I'm unfortunately well prepared for beeing not excited.

I barely dare to say it here in this forum: From time to time I take a look at Canon R6 reviews :-(
(03-27-2021, 11:24 AM)thomass Wrote: It hurts me to write these words
Usually, when someone says that, it's just a failed attempt to look "impartial" or even "favoring Pentax".
(03-27-2021, 11:24 AM)thomass Wrote: But with todays processing capabilities in modern cameras, the advantages of getting a live signal from the sensor are so obvious, I don't believe that Pentax can significantly improve autofocus with K3 MKIII, which is the most important limitation for me currently.
In theory, Pentax could improve the autofocus at least to the level of the best DSLR on the market. Of course, they haven't done that with the K-3iii - but there's still a lot of room to grow, from the old SAFOX.
The K-3iii gets a live signal from a secondary 307,000 RGBIr pixels sensor, by the way. Now, what could they do with it...
(03-27-2021, 11:24 AM)thomass Wrote: If you aren't a landscape photographer, nowadays you may just want to have eye detection, which isn't possible with SLR.
Yeah, they could do eye detection - and sure enough, the K-3iii does eye detection with the optical viewfinder!
(no idea how fast and accurate, but you said it "isn't possible"...)
(03-27-2021, 11:24 AM)thomass Wrote: Metering is also much easier when you have proper object tracking in place...
DSLRs do object tracking since ages. Even the older Pentax cameras like the K-3/KP/K-1 do that, although it's quite crude.

Tip: you can go mirrorless without explaining to us how bad DSLRs are.

(03-27-2021, 12:44 AM)Klaus Wrote: Well, this does look quite impressive actually

It's just a pity that their lens lineup is quite outdated.

It's not that bad, although there are quite a few modern options "missing" - I'm still waiting for the D FA 21mm Limited, but that's mostly because I do not want the 15-30 behemoth.

Too bad you no longer test Pentax lenses... particularly the new D FA* primes. I have the D FA* 50mm and it's great, and the D FA* 85mm appears to be even better.
(03-27-2021, 12:26 PM)Kunzite Wrote: Tip: you can go mirrorless without explaining to us how bad DSLRs are.

Tip: you can ignore opinions you don't like by simply not reading them Wink

To add to the topic: DSLR is a dead-end road, it's just a fact by now. (and that's coming from someone desperately trying to stick to DSLRs) Having used both in parallel for a while, there is still a lot I don't like about mirrorless cameras, but there is also a lot possible now already and more to come in the future that DSLRs will never be able to do or compete with. That's a simple fact... which you may or may not like, sure, but personal bias of that kind (which I have, too) still can't change those facts Wink
Editor
opticallimits.com

So not long now until we see the bête ..... (beast) ......

.......  all eyes will be detecting it's AF-C capabilities ....... 

I can't help thinking how much better it would have been for Pentax if they had got this AF business sorted before the black cloud billowed over the DSLR market ..... like four/five years ago .....
(03-27-2021, 04:08 PM)mst Wrote: Tip: you can ignore opinions you don't like by simply not reading them Wink
Of course I can, but, I'm not sure you noticed, there was some blatantly false information in his post. If we'd all keep quiet, said falsehoods would be mistaken for truth.
Now, as a super moderator, what kind of forum do you want this to be?

(03-27-2021, 04:08 PM)mst Wrote: To add to the topic: DSLR is a dead-end road, it's just a fact by now. (and that's coming from someone desperately trying to stick to DSLRs) Having used both in parallel for a while, there is still a lot I don't like about mirrorless cameras, but there is also a lot possible now already and more to come in the future that DSLRs will never be able to do or compete with. That's a simple fact... which you may or may not like, sure, but personal bias of that kind (which I have, too) still can't change those facts Wink
DSLRs could become a dead-end road only if Pentax fails (we can't count on Canon and Nikon, right?). This isn't a given.
One thing we should all understand: nobody benefits from Pentax failing. What you're "adding" to the topic is self-defeating, you want to stick with DSLRs but you spread the MILC propaganda that "DSLR is a dead-end road".
How about a DSLR which has all the advantages of a mirrorless, but with an optical viewfinder? It's possible (though I don't know if there are actual plans towards an implementation).

But this topic is about a certain Pentax DSLR, not about "DSLRs are so incapable and doomed!".
And as I said before, this specific Pentax DSLR does something which that poster said to be impossible for a SLR.

•  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next