Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fujifilm 18mm f1.4
Yeh but 10-24 + 16 + 18-55 would probably be overkill. Smile Financially, too, which is an important consideration.

What possessed Fuji to do a 10-24 when they have no 24-xx mm lenses, anyway. Smile
Well, you could ask that question about any FF system out there, then, since basically all of them offer 1x-35mm UWA zooms, too.

Seriously, though: with your preference for large camera bodies, why would you want to switch?
Editor
opticallimits.com

(04-16-2021, 06:48 PM)mst Wrote: Well, you could ask that question about any FF system out there, then, since basically all of them offer 1x-35mm UWA zooms, too.

Seriously, though: with your preference for large camera bodies, why would you want to switch?

While it was said that I appear to appreciate everything big (literary forms, women, cameras...), at least in the case of the cameras it was more of an utilitarian thing: the Canon 1D series were the best there was at the moment, and since I got a battery grip for the 30D that I had before that anyway, there wasn't really any size difference (but cameras with integrated grips are way more robust).

I seriously considered switching to ML at a period in life (a couple years ago, give or take) when it seemed that my joints - mostly knees - would only deteriorate further, and at the time I was suffering from pain all the time so it looked like I would have to opt out of carrying heavy gear altogether. Since last autumn, it's gotten better as the right treatment was finally found. Therefore I am able to keep flaunting a 1D body without secretly suffering from constant pain and inability to - say - kneel to get a low shooting angle, so the question of downsizing is not as acute for me now. Smile

Seriously though, the 10-24 is still oddball, maybe it was intended to be used with the 35mm prime as the next lens, and then the telezoom. I wish there had been a cheaper zoom with - say - 9-18mm focal length for the X system. Smile The 8-16 fits the bill... on paper... but it's huge and expensive (pray tell if we have a chance to see it reviewed sometime though...)
Tall women and fat cameras?
Maybe, although I would define the Canon 1D series as "powerfully built", not "fat". Smile
Now THIS is a seriously "fat" camera:
[Image: allroundview-001.jpeg]
(04-16-2021, 06:24 PM)Rover Wrote: Yeh but 10-24 + 16 + 18-55 would probably be overkill. Smile Financially, too, which is an important consideration.

What possessed Fuji to do a 10-24 when they have no 24-xx mm lenses, anyway. Smile

Personally, I'd much rather have a 10-24 than a 10-18, unless the later is much smaller or much better optically.

A bit of overlap is actually quite useful as it means less lens changes.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
Well, I am guilty of owning 16-35 + 24-85 lenses (and before the 16-35, the 17-35L) so as much overlap as it gets. But at least the 24-85 is cheap so I can't complain about owning it, even though it rarely comes on the camera. Smile

Would having 10-24 + 18-55 be a waste if I were to go Fuji in the end? Smile
(04-18-2021, 03:07 PM)Rover Wrote: Well, I am guilty of owning 16-35 + 24-85 lenses (and before the 16-35, the 17-35L) so as much overlap as it gets. But at least the 24-85 is cheap so I can't complain about owning it, even though it rarely comes on the camera. Smile

Would having 10-24 + 18-55 be a waste if I were to go Fuji in the end? Smile

I don't think it would be a waste.
The question is which lens do you think you would use more?

I think I'd get the 16-80 f4 instead of the 18-55 despite the corners issue of the former, especially given the 10-24 at 16mm has probably better corners.
Also this combo gives you an extra 24mm range (56-80) ;-)

And most importantly, at least for me, the 16-80 seems to have pretty smooth rendering for a zoom. The 18-55 has horrible OOF area rendering. This is the main reason I sold it. For portraits it was horrible, especially with any type of foliage in the background (much worse rendering than any other lens I've owned on any system).
--Florent

Flickr gallery