Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More EOS R3 news
https://www.canon.com.au/about-canon/new...3-revealed
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(06-02-2021, 12:19 PM)Klaus Wrote: https://www.canon.com.au/about-canon/new...3-revealed

Interestingly, there're holding out on revealing the resolution of the sensor as if it's not a key specification ........ I was thinking it would be 20 Mps using global shutter technology as BC had alluded to some time back ..... other sources were alluding to it also ........ in which case why state:

"flash sync is now possible with the electronic shutter when used with external speed-lites and rolling shutter for fast moving subjects has been reduced"

........ the key word being "reduced" ....... rather than eliminated !!

.... is it using electronic shutter/ global shutter or both ??
It's not marketed towards video so I reckon that it doesn't feature a global shutter.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(06-02-2021, 12:42 PM)davidmanze Wrote:
(06-02-2021, 12:19 PM)Klaus Wrote: https://www.canon.com.au/about-canon/new...3-revealed

Interestingly, there're holding out on revealing the resolution of the sensor as if it's not a key specification ........ I was thinking it would be 20 Mps using global shutter technology as BC had alluded to some time back ..... other sources were alluding to it also ........ in which case why state:

"flash sync is now possible with the electronic shutter when used with external speed-lites and rolling shutter for fast moving subjects has been reduced"

I don't really remember typing about it having a global shutter... I remember Canon announced a month ago it will do 30 FPS with full DPAF and AE, and the sensor being a stacked. back side illuminated sensor. 
And that it will have a faster read out to limit rolling shutter.

A "global shutter" is an electronic shutter, by the way.
(06-02-2021, 02:38 PM)Brightcolours Wrote:
(06-02-2021, 12:42 PM)davidmanze Wrote:

I don't really remember typing about it having a global shutter... I remember Canon announced a month ago it will do 30 FPS with full DPAF and AE, and the sensor being a stacked. back side illuminated sensor. 
And that it will have a faster read out to limit rolling shutter.

A "global shutter" is an electronic shutter, by the way.

I understand that ...... it reads all the pixels at once ....... as opposed to scanning in this case at high speed à là Sony A1...... 

here but in reference to the R1:

"Another sensor, this time in rumour space, is a 21mp FF sensor, with global shutter. It is suggested to be for an "EOS R1". 120dB dynamic range, 120 FPS full readout capable."
Ah right, that "R!" sensor. Well, the R3 will be of higher resolution than 21mp is my estimation, else there are not that many pixels left to offer oversampled HQ 4K.
The R5 offers both "normal" line skipping 4K and oversampled HQ 4K, with its 45mp sensor. And 8K, of course.
(06-02-2021, 05:17 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: Ah right, that "R!" sensor. Well, the R3 will be of higher resolution than 21mp is my estimation, else there are not that many pixels left to offer oversampled HQ 4K.
The R5 offers both "normal" line skipping 4K and oversampled HQ 4K, with its 45mp sensor. And 8K, of course.

You're right BC, over sampled 4K/8K must mean a higher Mp sensor ........ maybe it uses the same R5 sensor .... there was a theory that the R3 had a 87 MPs sensor that could do both ES scanning and 21 Mps global shutter ........

I'll call that ......"smoke-screen ware" !!
Not quite the R5 sensor, as Canon does state that the R3 has faster read out and is its first stacked BSI sensor. Maybe we will know soon?
Latest R3 rumour is that it will have a 24mp sensor. It is said that the R3 cameras used at the olympic games show 6000x4000 resolution. So, we went from 45 to 31 to 45 to 24mp in the rumour mill.
It's funny how many people are up in arms about this camera being - as far as the presently available data implies - 24MP rather than 30MP, as if it's a deal breaking difference.

Though being cryptic about sensor resolution is not new for Canon (and maybe not only for them). Remember how they held off revealing the pixel count of the 1Dx Mark 3, ostensibly wary of the backlash (that did come) about the sensor having the same resolution as the previous model.

BTW 24 MP is still 20% more than 20 MP so it's a solid progression. Not sure why there's so much clamouring for more megapickles again and especially when this camera is clearly built for speed rather than super high resolution.

P.S. if true, this would be a first for Canon as it seems they had avoided ever using the (otherwise ubiquitous) 24MP FF sensors. Ah, Canon and their eternal desire to be different... I wonder whether their newest cameras, including the R line, still wouldn't work as USB Mass Storage devices? Smile