Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next OL lens lab test - Samyang / Rokinon AF 14mm f/2.8 RF
How do you know that these adapters are just pass-through?
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Yeah, sounds kind of dubious as many people say that as established knowledge, but I don't think I've seen any proof... whatever that may be.
Klaus, have you noticed anything different operation-wise when using this Samyang lens - compared to the native Canon units?
Generally, I didn't notice any obvious operational issues so I can't think of a product-specific reason for the withdrawal (if that's what you targeted with the question).

No, I was mostly taking a poke at the question of whether the lens, in fact, is electronically an EF lens in disguise as others have implied. Which should be irrelevant anyway.
I think you can't tell with an ultra-wide lens. You may conclude something with a tele lens and object tracking - maybe.

So is the Samyang 85mm f/1.4 for RF/E mount in the testing pipeline by any chance?
(08-11-2021, 11:59 AM)Rover Wrote: So is the Samyang 85mm f/1.4 for RF/E mount in the testing pipeline by any chance?

It is the next review actually :-) But in E-mount (and the AF is slowish).

Good, I was asking about both E and RF mount because testing both for AF performance might've given some insight. Then again, the base cameras are so different that it wouldn't have probably worked out that way in practice.
(08-11-2021, 12:25 AM)Klaus Wrote: How do you know that these adapters are just pass-through?

I mentioned that in my previous post, Klaus.

I can't remember the article I read about this, as in, where I read it. Someone who took the thing partly apart.

When I find it again, I'll link it.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
(08-11-2021, 12:25 AM)Klaus Wrote: How do you know that these adapters are just pass-through?

It is common knowledge since the introduction of RF....
The cameras switch to EF protocol when an adapted lens is mounted. The lack of extra pins on the EF lenses tells the camera what is going on. Not all RF contacts are being used at the moment, by the way. They are there for future additions of functionality.

There are many 3rd party EF to R adapters on the market, too.