Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RF 16mm f/2.8 and RF 100-400mm coming
(09-09-2021, 06:03 PM)mst Wrote: I know, the part I quoted sounded like a generic claim though. I agree that an APS-C R camera is not likely (or at least would be a very big surprise) and a 16mm as first lens to go with it would be highly unlikely, too.

I think the first-ever Sony NEX came with the 16mm f/2.8. I still have this 16mm floating around somewhere here - and it's about the same size as the RF lens.

We'll see.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
The Sony 16mm was a pancake. This one is not.
(09-10-2021, 02:08 AM)Klaus Wrote:
(09-09-2021, 06:03 PM)mst Wrote: I know, the part I quoted sounded like a generic claim though. I agree that an APS-C R camera is not likely (or at least would be a very big surprise) and a 16mm as first lens to go with it would be highly unlikely, too.

I think the first-ever Sony NEX came with the 16mm f/2.8. I still have this 16mm floating around somewhere here - and it's about the same size as the RF lens.

We'll see.

Totally about the same size.

.jpg   16mm.jpg (Size: 50.71 KB / Downloads: 11)
I stated "about" the same size, not the same size. If you level the mounts, the difference in length isn't all that extreme. The Sony lens even has a bigger front filter 49mm vs 43mm.
It's, of course, more a question of the diameter of the front element but is a 43mm filter enough to avoid mechanical vignetting?

What's the smallest sub 20mm FF lens out there atm? Probably the Samyang 18mm f/2.8 (58mm filter, 6cm "long"). Probably 1.5cm longer than the Canon lens?

Anyway, if it's FF I'm cool with this and I will test it ASAP. If it's FF I wouldn't expect wonders at this price point though.

More photoshopped goodness, showing the 16mm on the left and the 50mm on the right.

.jpg   1650.jpg (Size: 61.81 KB / Downloads: 9)

(09-10-2021, 01:48 PM)Klaus Wrote: I stated "about" the same size, not the same size. If you level the mounts, the difference in length isn't all that extreme. The Sony lens even has a bigger front filter 49mm vs 43mm.
It's, of course, more a question of the diameter of the front element but is a 43mm filter enough to avoid mechanical vignetting?

What's the smallest sub 20mm FF lens out there atm? Probably the Samyang 18mm f/2.8 (58mm filter, 6cm "long"). Probably 1.5cm longer than the Canon lens?

Anyway, if it's FF I'm cool with this and I will test it ASAP. If it's FF I wouldn't expect wonders at this price point though.

The difference in length is only about twice the length. That is "about" twice the size.

16m on FF has horizontal view angle of 98º, vertical 75º, diagonal 108º. The difference of the front element and the filter size is considerable. 

The Samyang has a "traditional" optical construction, with bigger elements in from and smaller ones at the back. The Canon has that now familiar big elements at the rear design that we have seen in a number of lenses (like that EF-M 22mm f2 and RF 50mm f1.2). The Samyang as a smaller lens hood than this 16mm.

Perhaps it is APS-C, perhaps it is FF. 4 days to go?
An APS-C lens seems to make zero sens in Canon's current strategy (given there is the M system for that).
The only reason we are debating whether it's an APS-C lens is that leaked photo which might very well be a fake.
My bet: it's a FF lens and it might not look at all like the photo ;-)
--Florent

Flickr gallery
(09-10-2021, 04:00 PM)thxbb12 Wrote: An APS-C lens seems to make zero sens in Canon's current strategy (given there is the M system for that).
The only reason we are debating whether it's an APS-C lens is that leaked photo which might very well be a fake.
My bet: it's a FF lens and it might not look at all like the photo ;-)

The leaked 6 photos? All from different angles?
https://www.canonrumors.com/here-is-the-...f-2-8-stm/
From twitter:

"According to information added to overseas dealers, the Canon "RF 16mm F2.8 STM" has a lens configuration of 9 elements in 7 groups (1 aspherical lens), a minimum shooting distance of 13 cm, a maximum shooting magnification of 0.26 times, and a filter diameter of 43 mm. It seems that the length will be 40.1 mm."

I guess we are safe to assume the image quality is going to be "interesting". Smile
The marketing text confirms it is an FF lens:

"Compact, versatile, speedy, and affordable, the new RF16mm F2.8 STM lens is a terrific complement to any EOS R series digital camera. Offering an ultra-wide angle of view and a bright f/2.8 aperture, it’s an excellent choice whether taking interior photos in tight spaces, seeking out the perfect landscape or as the perfect webcam lens when used in combination with an EOS camera and EOS Webcam Utility on a video call.

With a 16mm F2.8 lens, you can experiment with enhancing perspectives, capturing starscapes, or with the close focusing distance of 13cm, get up close to your subject while still keeping the background more visible. Video users will find this ultra-wide lens a natural for vlogging, especially with its supremely lightweight.

With its remarkable combination of optical excellence and refined performance, all in a small package that’s easy to bring most anywhere, the RF16mm F2.8 STM is a stellar companion to any EOS R series digital
camera."