Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fujifilm lens roadmap
https://fujifilm-x.com/global/products/x...s-roadmap/
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Looks like they have now a mature roadmap, and I expect t start seeing updated versions of some lenses
I'm baffled that they take so long with providing ultra-wide primes. The 14mm (FF 21mm) is nice but it's still too long.
Conversely, the announced 8mm (FF 12mm) just seems too wide to be a mainstream lens.
Also - their zoom lenses aren't THAT hot.

If Sony would up their game on the camera side, they would have a better overall APS-C system by now.

Maybe that 8mm lens is a fisheye?
(06-01-2022, 10:17 PM)Klaus Wrote: I'm baffled that they take so long with providing ultra-wide primes. The 14mm (FF 21mm) is nice but it's still too long.
Conversely, the announced 8mm (FF 12mm) just seems too wide to be a mainstream lens.

If Sony would up their game on the camera side, they would have a better overall APS-C system by now.

From my experience, Fuji zooms are average at best, whathever Fuji fanboys claim.
Of all the Fuji zooms I have owned, I haven't been impressed by a single one (18-55, 55-200, 16-50, 50-230, 15-45, 16-80). Sure, I haven't tried their high-end stuff, but I find them monstruous and based on reviews, they are too big for what they offer IMO.

Their primes though are a different story.
I really really like the Fuji 35mm f1.4. It's outdated and all, but I find it sharp at f1.4 and love its rendering. And it's very small and light.

Fuji's latest f1.4 trio (18, 23, 33) appear to be excellent and probably class-leading.

Most lenses released by Sony in the last 2-3 years are exceptional, whether APS-C or FF. They seem to have hired the best optical engineers in the industry. Their lenses are small and light with class-leading IQ. If only they were able to manufature fun cameras to use.
I tried a A7III and A7r mk II and really didn't like them.
And Fuji's jpeg are really really nice when one doesn't want to mess around with postprocessing (or doesn't have time).
--Florent

Flickr gallery
(06-02-2022, 12:40 PM)thxbb12 Wrote: I am buffed also :-) looking at the reviews, I can see lots of zooms having the Highly Recommended mark - the 18-55 may be the hottest reason to enter Fujifilm…now, I agree the latest additions were not that hot, but… I have a bit the feeling that Opticallimits lost interest in Fujifilm? 

(06-01-2022, 10:17 PM)Klaus Wrote: I'm baffled that they take so long with providing ultra-wide primes. The 14mm (FF 21mm) is nice but it's still too long.

From my experience, Fuji zooms are average at best, whathever Fuji fanboys claim.
Of all the Fuji zooms I have owned, I haven't been impressed by a single one (18-55, 55-200, 16-50, 50-230, 15-45, 16-80). Sure, I haven't tried their high-end stuff, but I find them monstruous and based on reviews, they are too big for what they offer IMO.

Their primes though are a different story.
I really really like the Fuji 35mm f1.4. It's outdated and all, but I find it sharp at f1.4 and love its rendering. And it's very small and light.

Fuji's latest f1.4 trio (18, 23, 33) appear to be excellent and probably class-leading.

Most lenses released by Sony in the last 2-3 years are exceptional, whether APS-C or FF. They seem to have hired the best optical engineers in the industry. Their lenses are small and light with class-leading IQ. If only they were able to manufature fun cameras to use.
I tried a A7III and A7r mk II and really didn't like them.
And Fuji's jpeg are really really nice when one doesn't want to mess around with postprocessing (or doesn't have time).
I think Fujifilm is a bit overrated. They got some great designs but the quality isn't really "predictable" in the sense that they also got expensive lemons.
The 18-135mm is bizarrely priced for what it is and the 16-80mm is not much better. Let's hope that they did a better job with the 18-140mm ... although their own MTFs aren't that hot here either.

As far as interest is concerned - unfortunately, that's more a coordination problem. Markus has tested a lot of the Fujinons recently - including the 50mm f/1 and 200mm f/2 - but he's struggling with the articles. The same goes for Nikon Z where the data is available.

I'm certainly going to test the 150-600mm ASAP. And, in fact, I'm considering to move either to the X-T4 or X-H2s.

(06-14-2022, 02:44 PM)thanks Klaus for the answer :-) the new 23mm would be another great lens to test…I completely understand the time constraints, it is a bit of a general observation: while you are right with the 16-80, 18-135, these are just two examples of a broad line of lenses, that really include some jewels, even in the zooms. And on the topic of missing / delayed tests: you just have to be very careful that the gaps in your tests don’t get too big… Klaus Wrote: I think Fujifilm is a bit overrated. They got some great designs but the quality isn't really "predictable" in the sense that they also got expensive lemons.
The 18-135mm is bizarrely priced for what it is and the 16-80mm is not much better. Let's hope that they did a better job with the 18-140mm ... although their own MTFs aren't that hot here either.

As far as interest is concerned - unfortunately, that's more a coordination problem. Markus has tested a lot of the Fujinons recently - including the 50mm f/1 and 200mm f/2 - but he's struggling with the articles. The same goes for Nikon Z where the data is available.

I'm certainly going to test the 150-600mm ASAP. And, in fact, I'm considering to move either to the X-T4 or X-H2s.
Is there some way the community - like us - may help?
Well, I don't really want to discuss internal disagreements but needless to say - I'm not happy with the situation. We could have been far, far further than we are and some showstoppers are beyond my understanding. However, the other truth is - I'm in no position to take over Nikon Z, for instance. Nikon isn't popular here in Oz with barely any rental options.
And I'm busy covering what I can with the other systems - this is just a side job/hobby after all.

FWIW, the Sony FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM II is next in line from my side.