Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canon RF85mmf2.0 first impressions
Just bought my first RF Lens: Canon RF85mmf2.0, compared to EF 85f1.8 it's noticeably bigger and heavier, I was a bit disappointed with its slow focus compared to its EF sister.
The only thing I didn't like about EF 85f1.8 is its too big MFD none of it with the RF, you can get really close to your subject. 
Another lens that should be leaving: Canon EF 100mm macro, it's awesome yet not practical, I don't do much macro anyway, for close focusing speed the RF is an easy winner.
Fur v the optical quality I am not a lens reviewer, However I know what to expect
My next lens to go is Canon 100mm macro
This is an RF lens that I didn't like that much, small and light, effective IS, very good image quality, but the AF is just not quick enough. The RF 35/1.8 focuses faster.
I know it's too late to ask but have you considered the numerous 85/1.8 options from the Chinese companies? Or were you after a (semi-dedicated) macro?
(01-02-2024, 01:04 PM)Rover Wrote: I know it's too late to ask but have you considered the numerous 85/1.8 options from the Chinese companies? Or were you after a (semi-dedicated) macro?

I was very happy with Canon EF85mmf1.8 image quality, its only con was the minimum focus distance, and that's exactly why I shifted to RF 85f2.0 
In fact I posted a thread here back in 2020 about this 
https://forum.opticallimits.com/showthread.php?tid=4701
I was using 100mm macro for some photos of David-a and needed a portraits lens that could focus close enough, RF85mm replaced both EF85f1.8 and 100mm macro
I sold the 85f1.8 and considering selling the 100mm macro as I didn't use since then

This is the closest 85f1.8 could do 

[Image: attachment.php?aid=87]

Not enough if you need such photos 

[Image: attachment.php?aid=90]

So yes I needed close up function but not really macro 

David-a has grown a lot since then.....
(01-02-2024, 01:04 PM)Rover Wrote: I know it's too late to ask but have you considered the numerous 85/1.8 options from the Chinese companies? Or were you after a (semi-dedicated) macro?

Oh you have a close up photo and he looks so cute.