Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DXO PureRAW 3 is out
https://www.dxo.com/dxo-pureraw/

Once again, it raises the question of whether the trend towards full format is really all that smart.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Why do you say that? Just curious?

It somehow reminded me of that guy way back when who was a 35mm shooter and went on to say a 3Mp D30 was better than film. Then somehow, he morphed from there to needing MF digital backs.
Well, if a tool such as this one makes the high ISO noise mostly irrelevant for MFT and APS-C, what's the value-add of FF then?
Sure, there is a bit of extra DR and some more DOF potential - which an average user will barely notice. An 85mm f/1.4 isn't really mainstream.

That being said - I consider the A7R V my primary camera - because it's here. However, if I wasn't running OpticalLimits, this would be different.

I'm curious what it would be? You definitely get to handle a whole bunch more cameras than I do.
(03-16-2023, 09:41 AM)Klaus Wrote: Well, if a tool such as this one makes the high ISO noise mostly irrelevant for MFT and APS-C, what's the value-add of FF then?
Sure, there is a bit of extra DR and some more DOF potential - which an average user will barely notice. An 85mm f/1.4 isn't really mainstream.

That being said - I consider the A7R V my primary camera - because it's here. However, if I wasn't running OpticalLimits, this would be different.

So, if you were not running OL, which system would you use instead?
--Florent

Flickr gallery
I suppose I'd have an OM-1.

To be clear about this - MFT isn't "the best system" - not by a long shot. The "best" System is clearly Sony in my book - by a substantial margin.

But this should never be the guiding principle.

The 20mp of the OM-1 are well sufficient for my purposes. It's rugged, and there are lenses that would be perfectly aligned with my needs.

If one is not after shallow DOF, MFT is a great system.
Very good zooms and bodies although the bodies have inflated in size over the years.
I still think a successor to Pany's GM-5 would make a lot of sense today along modern pancake prime lenses to go with it.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
Yeah, it's one of the great mysteries of our times that Panasonic didn't release a renewed version of the GM5.

I get it! It seems like 90+% of the time I grab my oly over the Sony.
After extensively using DXO for noise reduction on merely 3000 photos this month, I can say when it works the results are fantastic, like nothing else, however deep prime XD sometimes creates unacceptable artefacts, you have tp revert to normal deep prime in this case.
Yes it's awesome however you have to always check the output to avoid really bad surprises. and they can be really frustrating after a batch conversion takes 8 hours to finish.....