Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next OL lens test report: Canon RF 28mm f/2.8 STM
https://www.opticallimits.com/canon_eos_...nonrf28f28

The tiny giant!
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
In term of sharpness and compactness Canon have hit the ball out of the park .... for the rest it's weaknesses are entirely forgivable at it's almost give away price point ..   amazing .....Canon will sell thousands of them ......
 The larger (muffin) and much more expensive (€/£ 500) Nikon Z 26mm F2.8 is a big disappointment with mediocre sharpness at the edges and corners and poor vignetting ..... meh!
Dat rear... element though. Smile
But I'm wondering, could this shape have exacerbated the vignetting issues?

P.S. there's a typo in the hood description on page 1... Should be "barrel-shaped" (even if I have no idea how it really looks). :-)
P.P.S. you mentioned the 24/1.8 being "nothing special"; have you happened to test it already?
P.P.P.S. FWIW I wouldn't count the 16/2.8 RF among the pancakes... It's almost double the size of this 28.
1. Thx for pointing to the typo
2. I haven't seen a single review (on sites that I consider as serious), where the 24mm IS macro came out as better than just average. That's good enough for me to justify the comment. If I can get my hands on a rental, I will review it, of course. But I won't purchase one for the sake of doing so.
3. Changed to "semi-pancake" ;-)
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Now I am perplexed, wanted all all around tiny lens,  the RF 35mm f1.8 was my obvious choice but was hesitating because if its size, now this one has the size advantage but no IS ...
Thanks
We'll call the 16 a "meatball" lens. :-)