Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which RF to EF adapter to get ?
Just purchased Canon EF35mmf1.4 for a ridiculous price (130EUR) it had systained damage from a fall, however, it was easy (and cheap) to repair: one dislocated element that needed to be put back in place, plus broken insertion base for the dislocated elements that was replaced.
Total costs around 45EUR, tried it today it's in perfect optical condition.
However the mount is slightly damaged, it can be mounted however it needs some forcing, mount replacement not available locally and i am travelling back to Qatar in 2 days.
My best and cheapest option is getting a dedicated adapter for the lens and  never unmounting it, it will act as a native RF lens.
I read mixed reviews about adapters, there are dirt cheap third party adapters. AFAIK they are basically extension tubes and so they should be all equivalent.
Is that true ? or better stick to Canon adapters?
(08-19-2023, 06:02 PM)toni-a Wrote: Just purchased Canon EF35mmf1.4 for a ridiculous price (130EUR) it had systained damage from a fall, however, it was easy (and cheap) to repair: one dislocated element that needed to be put back in place, plus broken insertion base for the dislocated elements that was replaced.
Total costs around 45EUR, tried it today it's in perfect optical condition.
However the mount is slightly damaged, it can be mounted however it needs some forcing, mount replacement not available locally and i am travelling back to Qatar in 2 days.
My best and cheapest option is getting a dedicated adapter for the lens and  never unmounting it, it will act as a native RF lens.
I read mixed reviews about adapters, there are dirt cheap third party adapters. AFAIK they are basically extension tubes and so they should be all equivalent.
Is that true ? or better stick to Canon adapters?
Best to stick to Canon adapters, even though it is an advanced sort of extension tube. With those at least you know they are made 100% to spec.

HTH, kind regards, WIm
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
If it's just an extension tube, I won't pay double the price just to have the name "Canon" on it.
Extension tubes are quite easy to make and remember this adapter will always be on the same lens which is rather old and doesn't have important Metadata to share
(08-20-2023, 04:51 PM)toni-a Wrote: If it's just an extension tube, I won't pay double the price just to have the name "Canon" on it.
Extension tubes are quite easy to make and remember this adapter will always be on the same lens which is rather old and doesn't have important Metadata to share
Well, up to you really.
Having said that, from the technical research I have read the Canon adapters have better alignment than any of the competitors.
While that may be less of a problem with real extension tubes, for macro, as you only use the central part of the image, it may well be with adapters to use a lens on a different camera.
I have been using Canon RF-adapters (all 3 types) for years now, since I got the EOS-R, and I am very happy with it. I won't take a risk with anything else considering my experiences with other, non-OEM lensless adapters.
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
To stay to Rule connectors, indeed even though it is a progressed sort of expansion tube. With those at the slightest you know they are made 100% to spec.