Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preview: Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC USD
I'll do now the easy part and suggest and indoor test setting, but as I know from my own little equivalence comparsion (which tells a very much different story than the one from people using tables, DoF calculators and normal calculators), the work load is pretty high.

However, a dark room indoors situation with a strong light source (these days LEDs draw a lot of lumen out of a couple of watts) would be my setting. I think of the long walkway in our cellar...

tripod and geared head the basis for some reproducible angles at alway the same focal length. Not the expensive Arca-Swiss crap which is only geared in two orientations (that goes for the cube as well, shame). It needs a Gitzo Athena, second hand you could get one for say 5 grand? Just because it has digital angle scale and you could do the rotation and tilt by the laptop... also it looks very good. Highly professional...

And here comes the weak spot of the plan: It is dull beyond brain death and nobody will ever find the same conditions in nature, meaning this tests will consume a lot of lifetime of somebody and has to be called useless. The only thing it could do is find out with a lot of effort, how much flares are shown.

Flare is a downside of a lens, true, and I say that as user of THE flare collector 14-24/2.8. But there are also good ways to get that out of a picture. So, if a picture is at first "ruined" by flare* I'm better off by thinking how much other great shots the lens already gave me and bite the lemon, use some time to separate the frequencies and bring it down.

* which will only distract yourself and a couple of buddies of forums and photoclubs who still write the word "flair" - forget about them, if they see flare at first, the next thing they do is pixel, first counting then peeping, just a preparation to zip the equivalence calculators out of the pocket.

Messages In This Thread
Preview: Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC USD - by davidmanze - 10-06-2016, 07:08 AM
Preview: Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC USD - by southerncross - 10-06-2016, 10:06 PM
Preview: Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC USD - by davidmanze - 10-26-2016, 06:29 AM
Preview: Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC USD - by JJ_SO - 10-27-2016, 05:48 AM