Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sensor development
Interesting development on sensors bij Canon: https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-to-spe...velopment/
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
If this is a quad pixel sensor, it's the Holy Grail that many posters have long been looking for. I take it, though, that unveiling it at a presentation like this means that it would be unlikely to be commercially available for inclusion next year in that other Grail: the R1?
In light of the fact that it made its debut at such a presentation, the likelihood of its commercial availability for inclusion in the following year is quite low.
There are all kinds of sensors out there that sound cool to us photo nerds. I think we often lose site of the fact that sensors are used for all kinds of purposes with many built for special needs. In a past life, I worked on few that on paper would peak out interest, but the reality is they were designed for specific purposes and not really suited for out type of photography. Though, there is technical overlapping of the technologies which can improve each other's next gen:-)
(01-25-2024, 04:38 AM)mariasouth Wrote: If this is a quad pixel sensor, it's the Holy Grail that many posters have long been looking for. I take it, though, that unveiling it at a presentation like this means that it would be unlikely to be commercially available for inclusion next year in that other Grail: the R1?

Well, as per the article, Canon claims up to 95db of dynamic range. I am curious about upcoming news.
Given that it debuted during such a presentation, adding it to a commercially available product the following year seems quite unlikely.
(02-23-2024, 03:19 AM)vernakuhlman Wrote: Given that it debuted during such a presentation, adding it to a commercially available product the following year seems quite unlikely.

It is currently not an image sensor for mainstream cameras anyway, that will still require quite a few years of development.
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....