Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nikon announced ..
I'm not in a hurry  Smile

It's just that I don't see FF as a necessary or exclusive answer to "and how about IQ?" PhaseOne now announced 100MP, Fuji might be the replacment for the Pentax "MF" and an alternative for Leica "MF".
Quote:Honestly I think Canon is more trapped than Nikon because the EOS Ms can't go FF ( I think at least ) and they will have a hard time to compete with MFT and Fuji. Nikon may go full throttle FF mirrorless at the CES already and thus compete with Sony.
Canon uses the same flange distance as the Sony E-mount. Canon also uses the same mount diameter as the Sony E-mount.

So in theory they can do the exact same thing Sony has done going from Nex to A7 series.

Besides that, NEX APS-C lenses are worthless for FE mount anyway, so it would not matter of Sony would have made a new mount for FE, as they need FF lenses for it anyhow.

Quote:Canon uses the same flange distance as the Sony E-mount. Canon also uses the same mount diameter as the Sony E-mount.

So in theory they can do the exact same thing Sony has done going from Nex to A7 series.

Besides that, NEX APS-C lenses are worthless for FE mount anyway, so it would not matter of Sony would have made a new mount for FE, as they need FF lenses for it anyhow.

The issue is that they are obviously releasing APS-C lenses only at the moment. Thus even if the mount can do FF, they will struggle like Pentax in supporting FF out of the blue (albeit they certainly have substantially more capacity than Pentax).

I find it interesting that Sony pretty much abandoned APS-C. They have problably realised that Fuji/MFT were far ahead.
On the one hand, Sony pushes the A6300 (a very advanced mirrorless camera). On the other hand, most of the APS-C lenses for it are not that brilliant, they were from before the new found talent the show with the latest FE optics.

Canon still is in a better position concerning mirrorless than Nikon... Nikon also will need a whole new line of optics, whether they go APS-C, FF, or both.

I'm surprised that Nikon hasn't announced a mirror-less, how long can they leave it?

If they have something in the pipeline they should say, if Nikon folk are looking are looking for a MLC they could have considered waiting, many may just buy Fuji/Nikon.........another moment missed!

Quote:Especially because I'd like to invest in a tilt/shift lens and there's afaik nothing on the horizon of mirrorless

Surely any manual tilt shif lens would be fine? Af isn't an issue and working stopped down with a mirrorless camera also isn't a problem. There are plenty to choose from, Canon FD, Samyang etc or you could use an adaptor (Kipon) to transform a lens for a larger image circle into a tilt shift lens.

Admittedly something like the canon 17mm would be difficult to create.
Well... TS lenses can easily be used via adapter.

The new Laowa 12mm has a dedicated shift adapter for sony e.
Firstly, I am quite happy with the announcement of the K80. I wish it were swim-proof but it is what it is.

Sometimes I think that people only see their own immediate needs and not the big picture.

The K80 is actually for daughter. I showed her the “specs” and she just loves it. Nikon getting today's kids into their system is just as important as keeping the old geezers in the game. Maybe even more important.

As for mirrorless FF, just remember for how many years it was before Nikon brought out a FF behind Canon. I don't think anyone can say that Nikon's FF is years behind Canon or anyone else, right?

Nikon have a long time history of dedication for their mount, all their DX lenses can be mounted on full frame also  maybe they realized before it is too late that their Nikon 1 thing wasn't a great idea, most likely they will launch a mirrorless system that can take all their current lens lineup.

Canon has changed mount several times, from FD to T mount to EOS, they currently have EF EFs and EFM, and they won't hesitate making another mount or they will be more realistic and make a full frame mirrorless system compatible with their current lineup.

They have already a patent for a hybrid system that joins both worlds they have plenty of options.

So my guess expect a mirrorless system from Nikon able to adapt their current mount 

Tony, it still makes NO sense to only remove the mirror from a DSLR and call it "mirrorless".

All you get is a frankenstein without the big advantage of mirrorless: possible small size with smaller wider angle lenses.

And Canon never has had a mount called T-mount. And Canon made the right choice going from FD to EOS, it got them the leading position which continues to this day.

If Nikon would be so daft to bring a mirrorless camera without a short flange distance, it is even more doomed from the start than Pentax' K01 and Sigma's new cameras.