Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New E-M1 Mark II
The EM-1 MK II actually has a 64 iso setting which is a little less noisy but has a liitle less DR as well.

It is a bit bigger than the other OM-Ds, but then, it has a battery more than twice the size of the previous batteries, and it also has 2 card slots. Still smaller than APS-C cameras, with the specs of a pro body.

Great looking and sounding camera, I might well get one as a replacement for the 5 MK II at some stage.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
Looks pretty badass.

It is I think.

Essentially similar to a 1DX Mark II, but then in MFT size.

Kind regards, Wim

Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
A guy I know is using this now (after spending time with the original E-M1). He went to Iraq and now way up north to where the temperature is -50 Â°C right now. I have to ask him later how this pans out...

Well, I got one now as well. Too early to comment, but it is certainly a lot faster than the E-M5 II.

In addition, it has a DR which is at least 1 stop better than the E-M5, as well as noise levels of at least 1 stop better, and iso 6400 is extremely useable.

Time to replace my 5d II with a newer version now Wink.

Kind regards, Wim

Quote:Well, I got one now as well. Too early to comment, but it is certainly a lot faster than the E-M5 II.

In addition, it has a DR which is at least 1 stop better than the E-M5, as well as noise levels of at least 1 stop better, and iso 6400 is extremely useable.

Time to replace my 5d II with a newer version now Wink.

Kind regards, Wim
Hello Wim, 

Two very specific questions : 

Looking at your gear list I noticed you are now in possession of both EM1 mkII and Panasonic 20mm pancake. 

Have you tried the pair to see if the new hybrid AF would improve the overal slugginesh feel (phase detection would reduce the amount of back and forth movements) ? I adore that 20mm lens. 

Also, were you aware of the banding pattern noise of the 20mm with the cameras sporting the sony made 16mp sensor (so visible on EM5 & EM5 mkII...) ? I'm curious to see if that is also gone with the new 20MP.

Also I'd like to know your general feel about the new sensor. You mention a nice 1 stop gain in noise & DR but other than that, do you get a sense of a "jump" in quality? I'm starting to feel the files are getting a bit "oldish" on my M5 mk & mkII for that matter. 

I'll run my EM5 mk II for a while and will see what's on the horizon for a smaller version of Oly's new tech, hopefully fitting that new battery, too ;-)

Greetings, 

S. 
Quote:Hello Wim, 

Two very specific questions : 

Looking at your gear list I noticed you are now in possession of both EM1 mkII and Panasonic 20mm pancake. 

Have you tried the pair to see if the new hybrid AF would improve the overal slugginesh feel (phase detection would reduce the amount of back and forth movements) ? I adore that 20mm lens. 

Also, were you aware of the banding pattern noise of the 20mm with the cameras sporting the sony made 16mp sensor (so visible on EM5 & EM5 mkII...) ? I'm curious to see if that is also gone with the new 20MP.

Also I'd like to know your general feel about the new sensor. You mention a nice 1 stop gain in noise & DR but other than that, do you get a sense of a "jump" in quality? I'm starting to feel the files are getting a bit "oldish" on my M5 mk & mkII for that matter. 

I'll run my EM5 mk II for a while and will see what's on the horizon for a smaller version of Oly's new tech, hopefully fitting that new battery, too ;-)

Greetings, 

S.
Hi Sylvain,

I actually had the Mk I of that Panny as well, but sold it a year and half ago, to buy another lens, but regretted it, so bought it again almost a year ago, although this time I obviously got the Mk II Smile.

As to sluggishness, I have never noticed any sluggishness with it, not really on the GF2, E-M5 Mk II, Pen F, or E-M1 Mk II. However, maybe I never noticed because I never paid attention. I tend to photograph relatively deliberately, so I guess that could be a reason for me not to notice.

As to banding, I have never noticed either. I think this may happen with electronic shutter with artificial lighting (fluorescent) and slow shutter speeds. So far I have never used electronic shutter, and I haven't seen it yet anyway.

When I find some spare time, I'll see if I can or cannot recreate it.

As to the lower noise, yes the images are cleaner, probably by about a stop. 3200 iso on the E-M1 Mk II looks like 1600 iso on the E-M5 Mk II to me, and normally I will only go beyond that in case of emergencies. Same with my 5D Mk II, I will stop at iso 3200 except in case of emergency.

Since the noise is a stop lower, I'd expect the DR to be a bit better as well, as that intends to go hand in hand, at least partly.

I didn't really look into that, because the DR was plenty for my uses before the newer models anyway.

One thing I do like about Olympus over Panasonic is that SOOC jpegs look incredibly good, better than the Pana ones. This is extremely convenient when having to quickly provide some initial images to someone.

HTH, kind regards, Wim
Hi Sylvain,

I had a quick look at the Panny and E-M1 Mk II, and although I now relaize it is a little slow focusing, compared to the 25 Pro that is. It whirs a little, but it is not really a slouch, and focuses fine in one go with the E-M1 Mk II. I set the AEL/AFL button for AF, and switching between long distance and really close-up makes no difference, not even under darker conditions (iso 1600 to iso 3200).

It obtains focus with a single try each time. BTW, I did not use C-AF; I almost never do anyway. Possibly that makes a difference; I'll give that a try as well.

I also tried to get banding in my images, both with Pen F and E-M1 Mk II, but so far I have not been able to do so. If I have some more time tonight, I will try electronic shutter as well. I did try with fluorescent lighting, BTW.

Kind regards, Wim

Sylvain,

I looked a bit more into the banding problem, and it appears it si indeed an artificial lighting problem in combination with the electronic shutter. A possible solution with the E-M5 apparently is to use 0s anti-shock shutter.

HTH, kind regards, Wim