Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Olympus EM1 MKII seems to be in the pipeline.
Just some general comments here:

Phase detection alone will never be as good in a mirrorless camera as in a DSLR. The phase detection diodes are embedded into the sensor whereas there's a dedicated chip for this purpose alone in DSLRs. Or in other words - the diodes are simply much bigger (more sensitive) in DSLRs which is why PD-AF is much better in low light on DSLRs for instance. Now phase detection alone is not the end of wisdom though. Phase detection is quite dumb. Contrast detection can be smart because it can recognize shapes. Thus over time I have no doubts that contrast detection will be far superior (with a little help from PD-AF to find the initial focus).

Now with respect to the E-M1 II ... I doubt that the PD-AF wil be substantially better than on the mk I. C-AF will be quite different though. The mk I is stoneage by now (3 years). Things have quite evolved every since. Just take the Sony A6300 as a benchmark there.

Birds in flight will continue to be tough though. Birds are small, they tend to fly in front of busy backgrounds and they often blend into their environment. This is a worst case scenario for any AF system. "Sports" is actually easy - the background is comparatively uniform, the subjects have a high contrast vs the background, the distance between subject and background is usually quite pronounced.

In any case it makes sense to wait for the E-M1 II - and also to see how the X-T2 will be perceived in reviews.

Messages In This Thread
Olympus EM1 MKII seems to be in the pipeline. - by Wolf - 08-02-2016, 02:40 PM
Olympus EM1 MKII seems to be in the pipeline. - by Klaus - 08-02-2016, 10:33 PM
Olympus EM1 MKII seems to be in the pipeline. - by davidmanze - 08-03-2016, 04:10 AM
Olympus EM1 MKII seems to be in the pipeline. - by davidmanze - 08-03-2016, 11:30 AM
Olympus EM1 MKII seems to be in the pipeline. - by Wolf - 08-03-2016, 02:54 PM
Olympus EM1 MKII seems to be in the pipeline. - by davidmanze - 08-04-2016, 07:19 AM
Olympus EM1 MKII seems to be in the pipeline. - by Guest - 09-13-2016, 04:10 PM