Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Olympus EM1 MKII seems to be in the pipeline.
Quote:If someone tells me "no discussion" I manage from time to time to stay silent.

But here you're also using wishful thinking. We experienced a couple of "best ever AF" with Nikon. D800 improved over D7000, D810 over D800 and Nikon's best AF I had so far was D750, so there is some reason to expect better performance with D500. And my friend tells me, his best ever AF of Nikon was D700. But with all the weaknesses of indirect focusing or different values for AFMA at different distances, that advantages all become very relative. Always fast and more or less often inaccurate is DSLR and so far mirrorless is the other way round. At the moment, using both systems parallel is not a bad idea.

But it deserves also a bit less wishful thinking and more reality. My reality was, with AF-C and fast continuous shooting, the first D750 or D810 shot was mostly sharp, the others.... Still could have some keepers, but not reliably. This was for the best AF. And the worst DSLR AF was for sure not better than state-of-the-art-mirrorless are today. Not in terms of speed and especially not in terms of accuracy AND focus point coverage in the finder.

If you don't plan to die soon or get blind, you will experience mirrorless speeding up to D500 level.

And there's another bonus point which is not discussed yet. The absolutely silent electronic shutter, ideal for birds which are easily disturbed by noise. I'm still wondering why Nikon is not able to build a hybrid DSLR. All things needed for LiveView are aboard, but not electronic shutter in LiveView. That's like a car with a turbo engine, but only two years, and one of the is the reverse gear.
 There's lots and lots of great aspects with mirror-less, as you say accuracy, which is one of the points with which you had issues with Nikon. I found it puzzling myself as I haven't had theses issues over and above a small percentage of missed shots.

"The Angry Photographer" Ken Wheeler well known for his fidelity to Nikon, has two favourite cameras (amongst others) the Fuji XT1 and the Nikon D500 and posts endless videos (some of which are painful to watch) on Utube. Fuji also have a particularly good quality of seeing things through in terms of updates and listening to their customer base  I could quite easily see myself shooting Fuji were it not for the fact that I'm sports/birding shooting, as far as I can see ML isn't there yet....then there's the lenses!

BTW. The butterfly shots are taken with the 500mm F4 with a pair of extension tubes that make 56mm bringing the MFD down to about 2mts, I only used AF-C and the combination (D7100) even out of it's specified distance range, manged to regularly hit the critters eye!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124690178@N08/ 

I hope I've got another tn ten years in me so maybe I will see mirror-less get there, but I'm shooting now! 

Messages In This Thread
Olympus EM1 MKII seems to be in the pipeline. - by Wolf - 08-02-2016, 02:40 PM
Olympus EM1 MKII seems to be in the pipeline. - by davidmanze - 08-03-2016, 04:10 AM
Olympus EM1 MKII seems to be in the pipeline. - by davidmanze - 08-03-2016, 11:30 AM
Olympus EM1 MKII seems to be in the pipeline. - by Wolf - 08-03-2016, 02:54 PM
Olympus EM1 MKII seems to be in the pipeline. - by davidmanze - 08-04-2016, 07:19 AM
Olympus EM1 MKII seems to be in the pipeline. - by Guest - 09-13-2016, 04:10 PM