Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
considering a switch back to primes
In the past I was happy with my set of primes: 14F2.8 20f1.8 28f2.8 50f1.4 and 100mm macro.

I am reconsidering getting back there.

I sold the 14 and 20mm (I regret it) the 28mm has died. And now I Intend to go back.

What set would be ideal ? I am considering the 35mm f2.0 plus either a 20'or 24mm what do you suggest?
are you on apsc sensor or full frame?

Both
A set of sigma arts? What sort of budget do you have? Do you want small light lenses?

Hi Toni,

Welcome back to the club.  When ever I build up a system after change (Minolta MD -> Pentax -> Contax G -> FT -> µFT) I start to collect primes after time.  For general stuff I find a fast 35 (equivalent) to be the single most useful lens there is, this is followed by an 85/90.  

Recently I got more into people and a 50 equivalent has become more useful and the emphasis on the 90 has increased even more.  You need those fast focusing (I employ a large aperture, face-detect and pray technique for small children). 

I currently have 24, 50 and 90 equivalent and not missing a wider lens very much.  The gap between 24 and 50 is a bit much, I start to miss something in the 30-40 range.  When I used my Contax I had 21, 35 and 90 and was more happy, though I wasn't into people that much.   I am not missing a wider lens than the 24 equiv very much, but having owned a 14 you will know better how much use that got in relation to the expense.

Sometimes I am toying with a Fuji X100s or X100t instead of a modest wide for µFT: Leaf Shutter, extremely low lag (none for the optical finder,  delay of 0.01s for shutter press to picture).  I have a Fuji X20 and for toddlers, with regards to not missing the moment, it beats everything I own.

Generally I avoid having more than 3 lenses - I often go with a camera and only the 50 equivalent.   For joint APS-C/FF use I would say definitely a 35 if you want a system lens.   Though you might consider an X100 type camera as well. 
enjoy
with regards to the mentioned low lag time with the X100t, this is true if you are in manual focus (you can still auto focus with the back button). However I find the focus speed slightly annoying, say compared to my old 5D. If anything is moving you'll miss it. I'm seriously considering the X-T2 when it comes available as the focus speed looks promising. 

Quote:with regards to the mentioned low lag time with the X100t, this is true if you are in manual focus (you can still auto focus with the back button). However I find the focus speed slightly annoying, say compared to my old 5D. If anything is moving you'll miss it. I'm seriously considering the X-T2 when it comes available as the focus speed looks promising. 

Agreed, if the subject moves, matters become difficult on the X20 as well.  You have to lock focus and the subject must not move towards or away from the camera.  Still the camera is best when I want to capture a facial expression (and extremely silent).

I would like an X200 with a 90 equivalent lens.  Not going to happen, I know.  The X-Pro2 is in the typical 0.05s delay range of fast SLR/mirrorless (5 times longer than the X100/X10/X20).
enjoy
Quote:I would like an X200 with a 90 equivalent lens.  Not going to happen, I know.  The X-Pro2 is in the typical 0.05s delay range of fast SLR/mirrorless (5 times longer than the X100/X10/X20).

What good is a short shutter lag if the image eventually is out of focus? and talking about 0.01 or 0.05 sec - 1/100 or 1/20 sec may matter, but at 11fps I still think the my soon to be bought X-T2 Smile  will get more shots in focus. And the X100/10/20 are not meant as action cams, so no point in wishing something what will not happen. I don't know of any fixlens prime APS-C at 90 mm, as you would wish a fast lens, meaning, thin DoF, meaning no optical VF - you just would not see what's in focus.

I really looking forward to find out how the X-T2 will be like compared to the also APS-C D500  ^_^ although rumours exist that Nikon is working on a bigger sensor mirrorless, but^will tey deliver convincing to gettiing back Fuji owners? I doubt it.
Quote:In the past I was happy with my set of primes: 14F2.8 20f1.8 28f2.8 50f1.4 and 100mm macro.

I am reconsidering getting back there.

I sold the 14 and 20mm (I regret it) the 28mm has died. And now I Intend to go back.

What set would be ideal ? I am considering the 35mm f2.0 plus either a 20'or 24mm what do you suggest?
Not easy to answer, it depends on the focal lengths you think you will prefer now, and on which body.

The EF-S 24mm f2.8 STM is a nice little lens for your 750D, very compact and light. It will be kinda a 35mm FF equivalent, but will not work for the 5D, being EF-S. But for the 5D you can get the also very compact and light 40mm f2.8 STM, for same effect.

Wide on APS-C is where primes make less sense. I'd stick with the EF-S 10-18mm there.

For FF... Price and size/weight are possibly things to consider.
I liked the 35 1.4 on the 5d.

you could go 24mm & 50mm, combined with the two sensor sized it gives you 24 - 35 -50 - 85