Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nikon AF-S 200-500 f5.6E ED VR first review
Not totally. 

http://blog.kasson.com/?p=11219

But at least the II offers EFCS.

Quote:It's not as if I don't understand your frustration. I do. In fact rest assured that it hit me a couple of times.

However, this is still not comparable to the recent bubbles-on-sensor issue over at Canon, the brutal (and still unresolved) shutter-shock at Sony or even your average centering problem where something as simple as a firmware update isn't possible.

You may ask Nikon, however, why user-updates are still not possible for Nikkor lenses. It's not exactly science fiction.

True, it's no rocket science. I just suspect they have to change hardware as well at least they did when I had to send in the 300/4 VR. I saw it on the bill.
I guess they have not provided for a way to update the firmware in the electronics of the lenses, so they have to replace the electronics board to give the lens updated firmware. I guess that might change in future, now that they have had a few lenses with problems in a relatively short timespan.

The issue with the 300/4PF VR was a weak VR with blind spots at times between 1/125 and 1/200. It was not only the firmware circuit to be exchanged, it was the whole unit or parts of it's mechanic (my interpretation).

Quote:I guess they have not provided for a way to update the firmware in the electronics of the lenses [...]

But in this case it would be quite funny... I mean, every piece of equipment with a processor and an electronic interface can easily provide for firmware upgrade - the only reason for not doing that is when there are security implications. For what concerns Nikon, a problem might be in the fact that they are maintaining a legacy connector in the mount, but when they upgraded the thing to accommodate the electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism - I mean, introducing an incompatibility with older camera bodies - they should have taken the opportunity for firmware upgrade as well.

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
Hi, Wanted your suggestion - Am using d3300 camera and planing to buy this lens .. Do you think its good choice ?

Is my camera good to hold this lens ? OR should i look to buy new camera first .. Need your suggestion please. 

Thanks 

Sridhar M

No matter which long tele-zoom you choose: It's more "the lens is good enough to hold your camera", not the other way round.  Wink

All of these lenses weigh more than a D3300.

The Sigma Contemporary 150-600 or Tamron 150-600 are a bit lighter than the Nikon and about 25-30% less costly. Plus more range.

I never saw a direct comparison of the three lenses. I guess, the Nikon is not worse than any of the other two - but is it 25% better? menaing "worth the additional costs"?