Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Selling Canon 50mm f1.4 to buy...Canon 50mm f1.4
Yep I am doing just that, I am selling the lens that served me very reliably since 2005, after 12 years of heavy use, it needed AF motor repair twice and now her AF locks slightly at one meter focus and needs a slight push  otherwise perfect condition, to buy a new one. 

Of course I am mentioning the issue to the buyer.

Your definition of "otherwise perfect condition" of a battered and heavily used lens is, hmmm, interesting. But in Lebanon maybe no problem. Looking back to 12 years with two repairs, you want to get the next 2 repairs? Cool. Do so.

Canon 50mm f1.4 has  a micromotor autofocus, it's known to fail frequently and the two repairs were actually AF motor replacement, but yes I will be very frank to the buyer and selling for less than 50% of price brand new, so it should be some good deal to someone

[Image: 16.jpg]

The circled area is where the plastic is too thin and even a tiny amount of force can bend it. Put your camera lens-down on a table and congratulations, you just got a Canon 50/1.4 that'll get stuck at around 1 meter.

Gorgeous idea.

To sell the toni-a's of this world some more lenses.  Big Grin

I wish, I not only could come up but also get away with it.

I am a little confused... if this lens model has a known issue, why even consider it not for the first, but for the second time?

A Sigma 50/1.4 EX may be a better choice, let alone one of the modern units (Sigma 50/1.4 A, Tamron 45/1.8...)

Or even Canon EF 50mm f1.8 STM

Quote:Or even Canon EF 50mm f1.8 STM
I already own this one, optical performance is very different, poor bokeh makes it unusable for me (portraits on crop cameras)
Quote:I am a little confused... if this lens model has a known issue, why even consider it not for the first, but for the second time?

A Sigma 50/1.4 EX may be a better choice, let alone one of the modern units (Sigma 50/1.4 A, Tamron 45/1.8...)

Would you change a winning team,? I really like this lens, it has been my prefered since 2005, besides it has weight and size advantages.

Besides used on 7D border softness is not an issue, I rarely use it at f1.4 at f2.0 and f2.8 it's just amazing, especially for skin rendering, none of my many other lenses comes close.
You might call it winning team, I would not trust a lens which apparently calls for troubles. And I can imagine vividly your thread headline "lens broken, tomorrow important portrait/wedding session - what now?" But then, it's your nerves, not mine. And I would change a "winning team" because in your case it's no team - it's just a lens, you don't need a certain camera to get that pictures, each Canon APS will do.