Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ lens test report: Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di USD VC
Quote: Wow. So one is really prepared, if a local thunderstorm is happening around the lens mount. That's relief.
Well, this way at least your camera will be saved if you get doused. To have the lens saved as well, you got to splurge for a lens with a better sealing like the one on the Sigma S. Wink
That depends very much on the body's weather sealing. I would only go so far to say you get no direct splashes between the mounts  Wink But the sports version is outstanding in that aspect (and for the small money it costs). Also, the converters have the same cover rings. And the front lens' coatings are also excellent. It really is a fine lens.

I know I am adding work, but all sample pictures are taken using 5DMkII and all are at ISO 400 or higher, can we see low ISO shots taken with 5Dsr
Toni-A, have you ever used a 600/6.3 lens? Have you any idea how rarely you can use such a lens at ISO100? With sufficient shutter speed? It's a test, man! To neutralize shutter vibration, one has to do a lot more than just put the photobag at the hook of a tripod and let it swing in the wind. Nobody ever will use this combination at low ISO!

It's just irrelevant and close to impossible. As is the idea with a high resolution sensor behind such a lens. Rent one, go for it and find out for yourself - it's better than to make others work  Rolleyes than you can post your results here...

@Toni - choosing ISO 400 is about lessons learned here. Honestly when it comes to sharp result with a tele lens I rather accept some image noise to get higher shutter speeds. High shutter speeds are IMHO crucial beyond 300mm - IS/VC/OS can only do so much especially with a 2kg lens.

BTW, the sample images were taken in an "outback" zoo:

https://taronga.org.au/taronga-western-plains-zoo

Awesome place especially when staying in one of those tents. :-)

Quote:Among the uncropped sample images are several taken at 600mm (taken with the 5D II). They are quite sharp but not pixel-level sharp (which is what I define as tack-sharp). Thus if they aren't pixel level sharp on the 5D II, they can hardly be great on the 5Ds R.

Just to mention - if we take the rating at 600mm f/6.3 we get an effective local resolution of ...

- 20.8mp in the center

- 5.7mp at the borders

- 4.8mp at the corners

That is, of course, on the 5Ds R. This figures will be smaller on the 5D II but at least the center will be more than decent here.

FWIW, Tamron's own MTFs do not suggest a great border/corner performance at 600mm.

It is also worth to mention that air diffusion has an impact due to the chart-to-camera distance - no, I do not test in vacuum conditions ... ;-)

As mentioned I will provide equivalent 21mp charts once I have a sufficient number of sample data for the conversion.
 As a matter of interest what distances were used in the tests?

Yes lens testing without the use of air for breathing can make your head spin.

This sort of testing is know as the "suck it up method"

I was out shooting today using the D7100 with Tamron, the APSc sensor testing it's resolution to the limit. Coming home and looking at the images, I just had to scratch my head!......Have I got a really good copy or what?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124690178@N08/

Following on from those comments, I use almost always 1/1600 sec. at F11 with manual exposure at around 250-320 ISO, this generally underexposes by around a stop. The weather here...the sun is bright bright bright, contrast is ferocious and there are a lot of white birds.The sun today was fairly near to overhead, shadows being 1/2 meter. VC is always off!

Nikon's sensors are almost "ISO invariant" and it changes little raising the ISO to expose correctly...in fact the opposite , underexposing preserves the highlights and boosting exposure in post effectively produces the same final result...without any blowouts. It is rare that I can just balance exposure just with sliders, such is the ferocity of contrast, a typical image has about four or more adjustment brush pins with at least one exclusively eliminating sharpness in those frigging specular highlight onion balls. 

There are some craze star shaped speculation highlights in the focus transition zone in a couple of those shots. Actually a pretty cool effect!
You mean the "Star Spangled Waterjet"? I don't think this has to do primarily with the 150-600 "normal" characteristics. Monsieur dave will have used some kind of silhouette to do this  Rolleyes

No, in this photo for instance: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I hope you don't mind me taking a crop Dave, but here is a close up of what I mean: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cc5tt8lcswo05iq/starBokeh.jpg?dl=0 

No problem Chris!  

I thought you were going to blow my cover...there was stick that I cloned out going across the bird..but in fact you were talking about those sparkly highlights that explode in all the shots with sun shinning on the water.

I use the adjustment brush with sharpness set to zero to tone it down, otherwise it's twinkly onions agogo. A pain in the veritable whatsits!