Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Bokehswirlishicousness! When a Helios is a deal(ios)
It certainly looks like a 44-2.... Not an earlier M39 lens. So why it would not focus further than 50cm puzzles me. With a normal thin M42 adapter, the right flange distance is reached on Canon EOS.

The lower left hand lens in your "kit box lid" looks to be for all the world the Helios 44-2 58 F2 lens , which is the one I will be converting for infinity focus for Nikon F mount. On Canon body the registration distance should allow infinity focus without modifications with a cheap Canon M42 adapter...........I also find it strange that this lens was not sharp on your body............Could there have been an extension tube in the mix?

First couple of results from the Helios M44-4 58mm F2 (auto with aperture ring lens) having reversed the front element.

I quickly found a plastic sheet to make a spacer washer a tad too thick but just to see the outcome.

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

F2.8

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

F2

There's some cropping and bags af PP. it has strange behavour, but frankly I'm amazed that a reversed element lens even can focus at all.

Not so many flowers near me here, I guessing that beds of colourful  flowers will produce the the nicest looking images, can't see it being my go to lens though.

It is just fun to try (especially since you have two copies), and you can get crazy portrait shots with foliage + holes backgrounds, you get swirls as if they are icon paintings.

And the nicest thing is that the hack is easily reversible, of course.  B)

As you say BC, a bit of fun and for not much money!

That seems like a fair price for this kind of toys - that, and not the hundreds or even low thousands of euros that some daft manufacturers are asking for re-makes of ancient lenses.  :wacko:

Quote:That seems like a fair price for this kind of toys - that, and not the hundreds or even low thousands of euros that some daft manufacturers are asking for re-makes of ancient lense.  :wacko:
It does cost a lot to set up a limited production line of re-makes of ancient lenses, though... It is not like it is really easy to make optical elements.  So, the price is not so weird in most cases. But whether it is worth it to you, that is a valid question for sure.
Quote:this is the kit with which the lens came dunno if it corresponds to your lens 

[Image: 7297183434_9a1b86d826_b.jpg]
Looks like it comes with a bazooka!
Quote: First couple of results from the Helios M44-4 58mm F2 (auto with aperture ring lens) having reversed the front element.

I quickly found a plastic sheet to make a spacer washer a tad too thick but just to see the outcome.

[Image: attachicon.gif]DSC_6391.jpg

F2.8

[Image: attachicon.gif]DSC_6371.jpg

F2

There's some cropping and bags af PP. it has strange behavour, but frankly I'm amazed that a reversed element lens even can focus at all.

Not so many flowers near me here, I guessing that beds of colourful  flowers will produce the the nicest looking images, can't see it being my go to lens though.
If you are talking about that kind of results, well that's exactly what I got when using it on my 300D.

BTW not only the 58 but also the 300mm couldn't focus to infinity using the adapter, maybe it was a bad adapter ?
Quote:If you are talking about that kind of results, well that's exactly what I got when using it on my 300D.

BTW not only the 58 but also the 300mm couldn't focus to infinity using the adapter, maybe it was a bad adapter ?
If you follow this thread with attention, you will see that Dave shot those images after he modified the lens on purpose (reversing the front element). That then may be a reason why you got such results, that a former owner somehow did the same?

About adapters... M42 adapters should be about 1.5 mm thick for EOS mount. If yours was significantly thicker, you had a very odd one. If not, the lenses should focus to infinity, or they were somehow broken.