Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Bokehswirlishicousness! When a Helios is a deal(ios)
Quote:It does cost a lot to set up a limited production line of re-makes of ancient lenses, though... It is not like it is really easy to make optical elements.  So, the price is not so weird in most cases. But whether it is worth it to you, that is a valid question for sure.
Fair enough, but I was under the impression that they placed the order on a pre-existing factory - probably in Russia (the same KMZ that makes Zenitar lenses - a recent writeup on the future KMZ lenses has implied as much).

Not that I have any faith in the domestic optical manufacturing - most of the times I'm fairly positive about domestic production, but fine optics is clearly not the forte of my country (as I may have said before).
 Well , after a battle on the lathe infinity focus is achieved.......however the war is not over as every now and then at infinity focus the mirror just clips the rear element.....focus a little closer and all is fine........so a couple of mm will be required to be removed from the rear element's housing, there is enough meat there fortunately.......will do that tomorrow!

Quote: Well , after a battle on the lathe infinity focus is achieved.......however the war is not over as every now and then at infinity focus the mirror just clips the rear element.....focus a little closer and all is fine........so a couple of mm will be required to be removed from the rear element's housing, there is enough meat there fortunately.......will do that tomorrow!
Which reminds me to take my EF-S 10-18mm IS STM for a spin again today (on my 6D... Talk about the possibility to hit the mirror Wink ). Don't forget to paint the bare metal surface black again! Jealous of your lathe ability and skills.
Quote:Which reminds me to take my EF-S 10-18mm IS STM for a spin again today (on my 6D... Talk about the possibility to hit the mirror Wink ). Don't forget to paint the bare metal surface black again!

Post a couple of results BC!

Well I took off 1mm of "lens butt", I daren't take off more as the threaded retaining ring was getting a little on the thin side,  anyway we have a "non collision situation" now.... a miss is as good as a mile! BTW I'll felt tip the butt!

Just looking out for a nice flowerbed etc. 
dave's clichés, your posts about fancy, legacy stuff made me peek through eBay in the past weeks, even though so far I prevented my finger to click on the "Buy now" button...  ^_^  

I've seen the M42 reviews in the past and I'm curious about it, even though it didn't convince me so far (clearly, had I found the deal at 4€, I'd have bought it immediately). But after I've seen this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lichtmaedel/4559959465/

there's something that still pushes me to learn about that lens.

PS It must be said that it's a very special photo: the swirl follows and enhances the swirl in the branches, and you don't find easily something like that.
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
Also note that that 85mm f1.5 Helios 40-2 is used on FF there.  To get similar "extreme" swirl, you will need a focal reducer on APS-C mirrorless. 

Also note that Dave purchased two 44-2 lenses, which are 58mm f2 lenses.

Yes, it's the 85mm F1.5.....................the bubble bokeh or however one describes it's effect is certainly a lot stronger than my 44-2 58mm F2 Helios which gives about a 1/3rd of the effect of the 85mm.

That lens though is rarer and commands a higher S/H price on ebay and so far I've yet to see one on my "Le Bon Coin" site here in France, ironically, as I said in an earlier post in this thread the Helios 85mm is  now available new on ebay for 314 euros/£250 plus postage.......it looks very nice and is built like a  tank (a T34)  and "cocks a snook" price wise at some of the kick-start recent offerings.

[url=]http://www.ebay.co.u...j4AAOSwjVVVmv61[/url]

The effect is pleasing though in the photo link you posted, similar to a fish-eye lens it's really for occasional use so buying cheap is the way to go, keeping my eye out at the flea market though. 

Moving forward in time.. 

At the fair i pulled out the Helios 44-2!

6 seconds F16 ISO 50.

Nice. Shame about the sun stars
A few extra notes about these lenses:

-If you have the m39 version with a m42 conversion ring at the back, beware that if you put the ring on backwards, the lens may mount incorrectly on to the camera. In this case, the numbers that should be facing you will be towards the side of the camera. Simply check the m39-m42 adapter instead of going through other things first.

-Some of the older versions have a rear group that screws to the main assembly that you can reach without disassembling the lens. You can control infinity focus by adjusting how far that group goes in/out. You may even be able to get infinity focus on Nikons without any major modifications. Have no idea about the optical performance though.

-Just like the test posted on the previous page, Helios 44 models can reach a more than adequate level of sharpness when stopped down. Don't disregard them for soft focus, one trick ponies. 

-Later versions with click apertures are really easy to modify into clickless aperture. Just disassemble the lens and remove the small metal ball. You don't even touch the optical assembly.