Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't want Photoshop in the cloud, so what now?
Hello All,

There has been some discussions already about companies which only offer their software in the cloud. But I wonder, what will be left if you don't want to subscribe to Adobe or whatever company?

I work with Photoshop CS5, which works fine for me. But how long can I go on? I probably can't open Raw-files from newer camera models. I bought a Photoshop update every 5 years or so. If I subscribe, then it will cost me so much more than before. Okay I also have Lightroom, but how long before the desktop version will cease to exist?

For that reason I don't want Windows 10 either. I will be giving up to much of my privacy and choice. I am not paranoia, but I just don;t want companies to dictate what I need or can or can't do.

What's your opinion?

Kind regards,

Reinier

Nobody wants this, the problem there's nothing you can do about it for the time being, no serious alternatives, yu can take it or leave it.

Surely other companies won't stay watching adobe taking all the profit, once this happens everything will change.

BTW windows 10 is just fine you can restore privacy features,  Microsoft is not dumb to make a software where spy features can't be turned off when it is almost monopolizing every singe business computer and any computer doin anything but multimedia, she will lose too many cystomers

Don't care about PS anymore. There's now Affinity Photo coming up for Windows as well. I work with PS in the office and with AP at home. I prefer Affinity any time although I'm used to PS since more than 20 years

https://affinity.serif.com/de/windows/
Yeah, that cloud crap sucks.

There are free cross-platform alternatives that are getting better and better, but IMO not even close to LR:
RawTherapee is more mature than DarkTable (well, it was when I tried it about a year ago).

--Florent

Flickr gallery
I am thinking of trying out Linux, but have to do some more reading before I take the plunge. I don't like it when there is just a few very large comapnies left which dictate everything. It is not healthy, not for the customer in terms of choice and service, but also a lot of prices are just too high. And these companies buy all other companies which are a threat to them. And if they don't want to sell, then they just crush them. It happened several times....... I am not a conspiracy theorist, but it happened.

I just read in a Dutch computer magazine about Krita. They were very enthousiastic about it, so I must check it out one day.

Kind regards,

Reinier

There are 2 very simple ways of trying linux with the option 1) letting you try it within Windows (or OSX if you're using Mac):

1. Install VirtualBox on Windows. It's a free virtualization software. Then, download a virtual machine image of the Linux distribution of your choice here: http://www.osboxes.org/. I recommend Linux Mint which is fairly close to Windows in terms of <a>usage: http://www.osboxes.org/linux-mint/</a&gt;
  2. Download an ISO image of Linux Mint here: https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php. Then, use the UUI software to make a bootable USB key with the Linux ISO image. You can then boot from it and try Linux live.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
Gimp? I use Pixerlmator (mac) for the very occasional photo editing I do. Mainly work in Aperture.

Quote:I am thinking of trying out Linux, but have to do some more reading before I take the plunge. I don't like it when there is just a few very large comapnies left which dictate everything. It is not healthy, not for the customer in terms of choice and service, but also a lot of prices are just too high. And these companies buy all other companies which are a threat to them. And if they don't want to sell, then they just crush them. It happened several times....... I am not a conspiracy theorist, but it happened.

I just read in a Dutch computer magazine about Krita. They were very enthousiastic about it, so I must check it out one day.

Kind regards,

Reinier
Isn't Krita for drawing/sketching, and not at all for photo editing?

Linux is still by Linux nerds for Linux nerds, mostly, with still all the usability issues and interface quirks. Personally I do not see the attraction.

Quote:Hello All,

There has been some discussions already about companies which only offer their software in the cloud. But I wonder, what will be left if you don't want to subscribe to Adobe or whatever company?

I work with Photoshop CS5, which works fine for me. But how long can I go on? I probably can't open Raw-files from newer camera models.
I (almost) always convert RAW with DPP (3, now 4 since my 450D is also supported)and let DPP send the converted image as tiff to CS6. That is how my workflow has been. As such, I am not "hit" by Adobe's ACR -> PS upgrade demand, not in the past at least. Now, with the CC PS, I am not sure which direction to go. t some point CS6 won't do anymore (OS X upgrades may make it incompatible in future? Plug-ins I may want to use might not support it? Who knows).

And I am in the process of starting to try out Affinity Photo on my Mac to see what kind of results I can get with PP in that application.
Quote:I bought a Photoshop update every 5 years or so. If I subscribe, then it will cost me so much more than before. Okay I also have Lightroom, but how long before the desktop version will cease to exist?

For that reason I don't want Windows 10 either. I will be giving up to much of my privacy and choice. I am not paranoia, but I just don;t want companies to dictate what I need or can or can't do.

What's your opinion?
I have always used Macs, because of the dislike of how Microsoft behaves and the weird UI choices they always seem to make, the Windows slowdown which makes you to need to format and reinstall over time and the driver issues that pop up once every so often.

The Unix underpinnings and the pretty flawless graphics implementation make it pretty nice and issue free to use.

With a Mac, I do not have the privacy issues of Windows (and much less adware/malware/ransomware/virusses worries), unless I use Google products and Facebook, or course Wink .

Quote:Kind regards,
Reinier
Quote:Isn't Krita for drawing/sketching, and not at all for photo editing?

No, not only. It can actually read/write Photoshop files (.psd).

Quote:Linux is still by Linux nerds for Linux nerds, mostly, with still all the usability issues and interface quirks. Personally I do not see the attraction.

Linux is used by a large demographic of non-nerd professionnals: anything ranging from HPC, IT infrasctructure to embedded systems is pretty much dominated by Linux.

In fact, at the scale of the planet, more devices run the Linux kernel than any other operating system in existence (all flavor of Microsoft Windows included).

--Florent

Flickr gallery