Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't want Photoshop in the cloud, so what now?
Quote:No, not only. It can actually read/write Photoshop files (.psd).

Linux is used by a large demographic of non-nerd professionnals: anything ranging from HPC, IT infrasctructure to embedded systems is pretty much dominated by Linux.

In fact, at the scale of the planet, more devices run the Linux kernel than any other operating system in existence (all flavor of Microsoft Windows included).
Of course, I was talking about Linux for normal desktop computer stuff. I am pretty sure that was what we were discussing, not server software or data farms, nor embedded systems or even Android devices (Android runs "on top of" linux).

I think, there are quite a bunch of PS users never heard or touched Linux  ^_^ and I also think, not many Mac users will uglify their machines with Linux or doing the same things with much worse workflow  B)

Sorry, none of my experiments with Linux ever convinced me to make the switch, but to be fair, coming from Windows didn't make the user experience on the 2005 Mac smooth at first - I always was expecting the machine needing more complicated usage than it actually was and still is. These days that changed a bit because Apple wants to drive us sheep into their iCloud - so, escaping Adobe and getting catched by Apple is also something what keeps me as Mac user from recommending Mac OS X. In my eyes they gave up too much professional grade software by getting worse in every day apps like iTunes, pages, keynote and so on. Different is NOT better per se.

But Affinity photo beats PS any time in performance to price relation.

Count me as part of the crowd hating that cloud stuff, and being worried too (I only use LR, but I see it potentially at stake too).

I'm an expert of operating system (my primary job is computer engineering) and I agree about the fact that Linux isn't good for the digital media workflow. A few years ago I tried it for a relatively long time (about one year) to make a reasonable assessment of it, and it isn't good. It's excellent for some other kinds of things.

I think that we have the risk that sooner or later we will have to abandon LR / PS. It's not that there are not alternatives (in addition to the above mentioned one I'd add Capture One) - I'm worried about the import capabilities; I mean, I don't think that I can import all the photos I edited so far into a different software than LR and have exactly the same post-processed look. 

PS As far as I know there are also other points: for instance, I'm not sure that other applications provide also the cataloguing features in LR. But in the past - in the period I was trying Linux - I wrote myself an application to catalog media (including geotagging) and it's not hard at all. The real problem is post-processing.

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.