Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I drop full frame?
I am seriously considering moving back to APS-C.

After getting 750D and EFS 10-18 I am wondering what am I doing with my full frame gear.

They are bulky and heavy, expensive with marginal advantage.

For landscape the DOF of APS-c is quite handy.

Only drawback is portraits.

So I am considering switching back to APS-C with 8 mm fisheye 10-18 17-55 f2.8 and the kit 18-55 when weight matters 70-300 50f1.4 and 1.8 100mm macro and getting soon tamron 150-600 (would be exchanging it to Canon 24-105) I think I am well equipped. Will keep 5D body however it is quite nice for portraits along with 100 macro so what do you think?
Hi Toni-A,

I have been thinking the same question as well for a while now. I had a Canon EOS 5D mark I, which was a great camera. But then I used a Canon EOS 600D for a while and noticed that the image quality of the latter was better than the 5D. Of course the 600D was newer, but I really struggle to see the difference in quality between modern FF and APS-C camera's. Both are good, and maybe a FF is better on paper, but is the difference so much better that you would spend so much more money and walk around with a heavier piece of equipment?

And a bonus on most APS-C camera's is the articulated (or swivel) LCD screen, which I love. I cannot bend well, because of severe back problems, but even if I didn't have these problems, then still the articulated screen would appeal to me.

I own a Canon G1 X mark 1 since a few month. The images quality is great, but it is just too small for my hands and too slow in comparing to a Dslr. So, I am looking for a Dslr again, not to ditch the G1 X, but to replace my 5D. The G1 X was always meant to be a camera which I could carry with me when not going on a photo-trip, because even to the local market you just don't know what you will come across and always carrying a Dslr everywhere is just too cumbersome.

I am thinking of a Canon EOS 70D right now by the way.....or maybe skip brands, because I need a new standard and wide angle lens anyway.

Kind regards,

Reinier

A comparason between image quality of the new x-pro2 and a7ii here: http://admiringlight.com/blog/fuji-x-pro...omparison/

The general conclusion I took from it is there isn't much difference, half a stop at best. I think that unless you're printing very large or you want very thin dof there isn't much point in full frame.

Chris

Quote:I am seriously considering moving back to APS-C.

After getting 750D and EFS 10-18 I am wondering what am I doing with my full frame gear.

They are bulky and heavy, expensive with marginal advantage.

For landscape the DOF of APS-c is quite handy.

Only drawback is portraits.

So I am considering switching back to APS-C with 8 mm fisheye 10-18 17-55 f2.8 and the kit 18-55 when weight matters 70-300 50f1.4 and 1.8 100mm macro and getting soon tamron 150-600 (would be exchanging it to Canon 24-105) I think I am well equipped. Will keep 5D body however it is quite nice for portraits along with 100 macro so what do you think?

The only reason for FF (except for the high resolution FF cameras) is shallow DOF ability. When you use equivalent settings, APS-C has the exact same DOF as FF, so the DOF for landscapes is the same. Unless you use crazy small apertures which produce a lot of diffraction softening, of course.

Only you can decide if you need FF for shallow DOF (portraits as you mention). On the other hand, you will not get a lot of money for a 5D now, so why not just keep it for when you want to take advantage of the extra shallow DOF abilities? 

For macro, APS-C has the advantage that 1:1 macro photos result in larger magnifications in print.
Quote:Hi Toni-A,

I have been thinking the same question as well for a while now. I had a Canon EOS 5D mark I, which was a great camera. But then I used a Canon EOS 600D for a while and noticed that the image quality of the latter was better than the 5D. Of course the 600D was newer, but I really struggle to see the difference in quality between modern FF and APS-C camera's. Both are good, and maybe a FF is better on paper, but is the difference so much better that you would spend so much more money and walk around with a heavier piece of equipment?

And a bonus on most APS-C camera's is the articulated (or swivel) LCD screen, which I love. I cannot bend well, because of severe back problems, but even if I didn't have these problems, then still the articulated screen would appeal to me.

I own a Canon G1 X mark 1 since a few month. The images quality is great, but it is just too small for my hands and too slow in comparing to a Dslr. So, I am looking for a Dslr again, not to ditch the G1 X, but to replace my 5D. The G1 X was always meant to be a camera which I could carry with me when not going on a photo-trip, because even to the local market you just don't know what you will come across and always carrying a Dslr everywhere is just too cumbersome.

I am thinking of a Canon EOS 70D right now by the way.....or maybe skip brands, because I need a new standard and wide angle lens anyway.

Kind regards,

Reinier
Why not a 80D? It has worthwhile updates.
Seems I won't be dropping full frame...

Today I was shooting mainly baby portraits with their mothers for mother's day. And yes I felt the need for full frame and I did use it.

The setup I used today: Canon 750D plus EFs 17-55f2.8, the other body 5D plus 100mm macro.

As it is more practical to swap bodies instead of swapping lenses, my guess is I will be using both for photo-shoots 750D should remain my first choice for landscape photography and hiking though: Lightweight, high resolution more DOF.

For portraits photo-shoot live view is nice but I prefer and by far a large bright viewfinder.

Will be keeping both
Sounds like you already decided yourself.

Anyhow ... "The proof of the pudding is in the eating" ...

eventually try to shoot a few of your typical photografical

situations with both cameras and compare the results.

That should answer the question finally.

Just my 2 cts ... Rainer
Hi Brightcolours,

Sorry, I missed your question about why I won't buy a Canon 80D instead of a 70D. That's easy, a 70D is 799 euro and a 80D is 1299.

500 euro difference is just too much of a difference. Then if I was going to spend so much money, then I would go for the 6D. Because then I don't have to buy a new standard zoom lens, which comes on top of the 1299 for the 80D.

kind regards,

Reinier

Quote:Hi Brightcolours,

Sorry, I missed your question about why I won't buy a Canon 80D instead of a 70D. That's easy, a 70D is 799 euro and a 80D is 1299.

500 euro difference is just too much of a difference. Then if I was going to spend so much money, then I would go for the 6D. Because then I don't have to buy a new standard zoom lens, which comes on top of the 1299 for the 80D.

kind regards,

Reinier
If 500 euros is too much, then do not switch brands. No other brand has something like the Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM. And wait with buying the 80D half a year so the price has dropped. The camera and its AF are worth it.
And it's sensor, too.