Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next lens review: Zeiss APO Sonnar T* 135mm f/2.0 ZF.2 (DX)
Stellar on the D7200, too:

http://www.opticallimits.com/nikon--nikk...szf13520dx
Editor
opticallimits.com

Instead of complaining I just grin at these resulting rating and HR - and once again, the ratings show just the limits of rating itself.

A couple of shots I only got - and with very decent sharpness - because my fast 135 features AF, and a speedy one, too, at least in my book.

I also recall some discussions when I was arguing "weather sealing basically is a false friend because you never know which kind of weather and exposing time in that weather will finally kill the lens although it was said to be a weather sealed one". I would not dive or walk in the rain with no more protection with my "weather sealed" (read, "rubber gasket round the mount") 135mm. But having none at all has it's downsides which I hadn't thought of until I got a splash from a wave I haven't seen coming.

The lack of bokeh fringing is a big plus - but being APO lens, that's what it has to deliver. However, paying 1000.- more for APO (135 Art vs. Milvus) minus AF - no way for me, not for a tele lens. I leave it to dave to ask about the Samyang, costing ¼ of the Zeiss Milvus type.
Did you expect otherwise ? 

For an apo lens doesn't the bokeh shot show a bit more fringing than you would expect ?

Quote:Stellar on the D7200, too:

http://www.opticallimits.com/nikon--nikk...szf13520dx
  Are we asking whether the Samyang 135mm F2 lens is an APO?

...Well it doesn't state anything on the box, whereas the Sigma 150mm F2.8 macro states on the lens that it is APO....but it's the results which count right! 

In the end it's the Samyang that has no problems with LCAs, whereas the APO Sigma macro does have some, nothing like many uncorrected lenses though.

Yup, APO does not necessarily mean completely free of LoCAs. The Zeiss shows a bit more than I had expected, but still a lot less than most other fast lenses.

But even a "good" APO lens can show LoCAs if you point it at scenes with strong light and contrast (think of summer sun reflections on a lake, for example). In such a scenario, most APO lenses I have used so far showed colour casts again. With the exception of the 200/2 VR maybe. But that one didn't see much daylight back then, it usually stayed at home because of its size and weight Wink
Editor
opticallimits.com

And PF can show up (the lake thing) on over exposed spots, which is not the same as loCA.

The Zeiss does show green and magenta LoCA in the bokeh evaluation.

PF can show in addition to LoCA, but still the lake shot mentioned above is also a good way to make LoCA visible
Editor
opticallimits.com

Maybe I'm wrong but I understand apochromatic correction as most effective at focus pane - the blurred regions in front or behind that pane just benefit a bit more than normal lenses of APO correction, which doesn't mean the bokeh of highlights (spread over a distance and with changed angles of reflection, like normal lake waves do show) remains totally clean of any aberration.

Anyone want the lens for under €700? 

http://www.priceminister.com/offer/buy/427764070/carl-zeiss-sonnar-t-teleobjectif.html?bbaid=2596684254&sort=0&xtatc=PUB-%5Bggp%5D-%5BHifi%5D-%5Bobjectif%5D-%5B427764070%5D-%5Boccasion%5D-%5BTop_Occasion%5D&ptnrid=pt%7C294682000766%7Cc%7C205900737296%7C427764070&t=180174&ptnrid=s_dc|pcrid|205900737296|pkw||pmt|&gclid=CjwKCAiAxuTQBRBmEiwAAkFF1pTUdm9m-bwqaql_LQKKR_epzNr8EyEtxqFbIRFvrAf5mcDdV3KDAxoCRDIQAvD_BwE

For Canon!

That's not even grey market, but second hand from the eighties! Firstly, I doubt it's looking like the picture, secondly I question the state of a "bit used" 30 years old lens.

Quote:contax frame (=adaptor?) + UV filter zeiss? lens bought in the 80's but very little used.
My first Planar and Distagon I bought in the eighties. For Contax, as this dude's one, believe me, the design was very different at that time. The other thing is, I can't remember there was an Apo Sonnar 135/2.0 but if so it would have been far beyond the price I could have paid. In any case, an adapted lens of that age can be a very lucky purchase or a pot of worms.