Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next PZ lens test report: Nikon AF-S 35mm f/1.8 G (on FX)
I agree with all your points. Also I admit that those "tempting" Art lenses more and more remain at home while I'm curretnly in a Fuji phase. Still new to discover. That would change if Nikon would bring out a FF mirrorless but I don't see that happening soon.

I was only asking in case your thinking about another test. Sure, the 20/1.4 can do some impressive lowlight wide-angle shots, but the question  "so much better than the f/1.8?" is valid and I can't answer. It has nearly the weight and size of the 14-24/2.8

Don't worry, the so far untested Art lenses (there's also the 24-35/2) will be reviewed... I just don't know when, yet. There's so much work still waiting to be done... 300/4 VR, 24-70 VR, some Tokina zooms, the 80-400 VR... and the DX section desperately needs a relaunch, too.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

There you go JoJu......howzat?

http://www.clubic.com/shopping-959840-3-...nikon.html

and

http://www.purnimadigital.com/tamron-sp-...F012+NIKON

There it says guarantee 2 ans en France!

But by all means buy it elsewhere for 700€ if it makes you feel better!
Quote:There it says guarantee 2 ans en France!

Yes, but with them, not with Tamron. 

Quote:But by all means buy it elsewhere for 700€ if it makes you feel better!

Actually: yes, I'd rather buy it elsewhere. Because I already have some experience with these kind of resellers and grey market items in general. Some manufacturers follow strict rules and don't even service grey market items.

The point is: these resellers can offer the low prices, because they are based in locations where they don't have to claim VAT if they ship to EU countries (which gives them a price advantage of roughly 20% (depending on country) compared to local resellers). I haven't found out, yet, if these companies actually have found a legal way to avoid VAT when shipping to EU countries (usually through Great Britain) of if they simply ship and declare the parcels as low value or "gifts", hoping the shipments will pass customs for free.

I'm not saying "don't buy there". But to anyone considering buying there the potential risks should be mentioned. Those HK-based companies are not bound to our local laws, so your EU-wide consumer rights (warranty, right to return, etc.) simply don't apply to such purchases. So, a potential bargain might turn into a far more expensive purchase than buying locally.

-- Markus

Editor
opticallimits.com

Dave, I once bought a scanner at a French distributor (pixmania or something like that). It came without the right drivers, bundled software was French only and could not be updated, as it was the previous version and outdated by all means. They said "you need an USB-cable, it's not included!" voilà, I had two, one from Canon and the super-expensive extra. E-mail contact was very bad, very bad English and not willing to respond within a week. Never ever again!

And for the rest I agree with Markus. These Hongkong or Singapore resellers ignore each law in Europe, each tax and if you feel confident with a service they claim to have but might turn out as hot air - go ahaead. You will just have a hard time to get your right. You just need to know, the European consumer rights don't come for free - distributors have to calculate some costs for them. If you feel better without your consumer rights, go China-shopping. If those resellers get problems, they close their eBay-shop and open a fresh one.

Absolutely fair enough Markus......Just a couple of points.

As far as I'm aware these companies are not HK based, they are in Europe, but source direct by order from HK, VAT is paid!

I  know someone at Pentax from service just as a customer, when I was after a K3 I rang the guy and he spoke to his marketing manager who sent me the link to "Idealo.com" where the same situation existed with the K3 at a lower price, when I enquired as to the guarantee situation I was assured by Pentax it was guaranteed for two years. 6 months later after several machine gun shutter/mirror problems and the card slots going dead I returned the K3 where a complete new board was replaced, no problems. The marketing manager also threw in a 99€ "Flucard" for my trouble.

Nikon....before buying the D750 from "Priceminister" I sent the link to Nikon France asking what was the guarantee situation, they replied two years using the date on the receipt of purchase.

Tamron....Purinadigital......I purchased the 150-600 and found it to be de-centered, I contacted Purinadigital and was given an address repair center in France where they would check it's condition, two days later they said they would send me another and returned my postage, a few days later I received the lens. They always claimed a 2 year guarantee and said they were a "European co". that ordered direct from Asia, so there was no customs duty involved...(for me to pay)

I say this because so far I have saved 500€ on the Nikon, 300€ on the K3 and 275€ on the Tamron, that's 1075€!  I am not a rich man nor have any income!

Nikon USA have a particularly ferocious policy in the States and I would "not" risk a grey product from them, but Europe has it's own laws and EU companies have to abide by them........I am however no lawyer.

Would I buy a the Tamron 35 at 576€ from Purinadigital?..........absolutely.

Here the trees only drop leaves in winter....never money!

Two small shortfalls, the K3 came without a printed manual and a copied CD in German, I downloaded the manual on line. The Nikon didn't have the printed manual!

The situation here in CH is as well: There are some resellers, offering cheaper prices with "English only"-manual and proprietary warranty. Meaning, they try to fix or exchange it. None of them offers 3 years Nikon CH warranty on lenses and bodies. And given the "knowledge" and "expertise" of the people who sell everything from vacuum-cleaner to dildos, it's quite entertaining to ask them for a repair.

Quote:The situation here in CH is as well: There are some resellers, offering cheaper prices with "English only"-manual and proprietary warranty. Meaning, they try to fix or exchange it. None of them offers 3 years Nikon CH warranty on lenses and bodies. And given the "knowledge" and "expertise" of the people who sell everything from vacuum-cleaner to dildos, it's quite entertaining to ask them for a repair.

It's one thing to accept an exchange on a vacuum cleaner, but on a dildo?.........no economies for me there, I want my yellow guarantee card on one of those!  :unsure:  :o  Rolleyes
Quote:The situation here in CH is as well: There are some resellers, offering cheaper prices with "English only"-manual and proprietary warranty. Meaning, they try to fix or exchange it. None of them offers 3 years Nikon CH warranty on lenses and bodies. And given the "knowledge" and "expertise" of the people who sell everything from vacuum-cleaner to dildos, it's quite entertaining to ask them for a repair.
Hey I was just thinking JoJu.....don't knock my plan.....because of course you must realize all this money I've been saving may well be going towards you Sigma sport one of these days.......   Tongue  Big Grin  Rolleyes

Quote:However, next stop: the AF-S 20/1.8, then Tamron 15-30 VC. And I got the AF-S 24/1.8 today Smile

Prediction: All excellent, "if you can get a good copy". Wink