Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sucked in again?
"Fungus infestation in the interior of an instrument can only be eliminated through disassembly of the instrument."

Hey, reads like tons of upcoming fun!  ^_^ 

I just trashed two projection lenses with fungus. So, no more slide projections at the opposite bank of the river  Sad

While we are here on the subject of fungus........ as I've said I live on a boat which is for the most part very dry.....(well the salt runs great from my salt cellar)..a good sign!... One day I put the kettle on the gas...a knock at the door....I chat outside and forget the kettle...finally I come in......damn.....steam everywhere, I opened all the windows and didn't think anything further...

A few days later I took out my Sigma 50-150 F2.8 (I keep my lenses in several small safes) to find "net curtains" inside the front element, a moment of panic while I took out all my glass to find that thankfully the rest seemed unaffected. Took the lens apart and cleaned the inside front element....whilst the rest of the lenses were sunbathing on deck....

I've since fitted an aquarium heater (100W  thermostatically controlled) to the under the safes to keep a gentle background warmth to prevent further absent-mindedness.

Houses are considerably safer havens for lenses! 

Yes, I use what the French call l'ammoniaque! 

Quote:I've since fitted an aquarium heater (100W  thermostatically controlled) to the under the safes to keep a gentle background warmth to prevent further absent-mindedness.
Note most if not all aquarium heaters are not designed to be operated out of water. You might want to double check that it is working as you intend.
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
but he could heat the water outside of his boat and then use the warm boat wall ... or store the lenses under water - no fungus! (intentionally I didn't say "wrap the lenses in weathersealedâ„¢ pouches"). But then, a real legacy lens with some need for DIY is surely worth every bit. Even at the cost of transferring fungus to the sensor glass  :lol:

Quote:Note most if not all aquarium heaters are not designed to be operated out of water. You might want to double check that it is working as you intend.

I have placed the aquarium heater inside a steel tube which is welded to a steel right angled plate which is bolted to the body of two the safes....... The thermostat is in the upper part of the heater and it's rubber support fits snuggly in the tube. set to 26°. It cuts in and out giving a low level of warmth.  

It works a treat!
For future reference in case you need to build another, you might also have tried a reptile pet shop instead and used heat mats. They just provide a fixed amount of power and therefore heating, but don't come with a thermostat which would be purchased separately if necessary.
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
Quote:but he could heat the water outside of his boat and then use the warm boat wall ... or store the lenses under water - no fungus! (intentionally I didn't say "wrap the lenses in weathersealedâ„¢ pouches"). But then, a real legacy lens with some need for DIY is surely worth every bit. Even at the cost of transferring fungus to the sensor glass  :lol:
 You sure are a tease JoJu!
Quote:For future reference in case you need to build another, you might also have tried a reptile pet shop instead and used heat mats. They just provide a fixed amount of power and therefore heating, but don't come with a thermostat which would be purchased separately if necessary.

Sounds like an equally good plan.......I used to have a tortoise called Tommy.

Lens grease turned up from the States today......it's not cheap!

Sorry  :mellow: I only can invite you to make fun of me [Image: coool18x18.gif]

Lens arrived!

<span style="font-size:14px;">            The Nikor-S 55mm F1.2 arrived yesterday.........</span>

<span style="font-size:14px;">    It looks great and the fungus is nothing more than a couple of bits of </span>nothing whatsoever(not fugus but bits) , the glass looks unblemished....it turns smoothly and everything functioned ........with a nice Nikon F metal lens-hood with quick release side buttons, a metal buttoned lens cap and a presentation case.....

Within minutes it was on the cleaned table.......marked the 5.6+ 2/3rds for the cutout.......and using another lens marked the end of it...... removed the bayonet and the aperture ring and starting filing....I used a vernier gauge for measuring the depth and in half an hour it was back together and I was shooting with it. Using aperture mode on the D750 functioned fine, just dial the aperture on the lens and the camera did the rest. 

The second image shows my cut out, one of the old meter link threads has been exposed.....yet to be painted......Nikon's official aperture ring had the threads set further back with a longer base to the coupler. 

I'm not sure if the infinity is spot on yet, so I will do some tests today as well as some street shots, certainly stopped down it's very sharp will post some shots later.

Cleaning it today.........a link to a utube cleaning video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN_KRIjNoKw

be careful if your like me you'll be whistling that damned tune all day!

This indeed called for a celebration and I have a thick head this morning......paracetamols for breakfast?