Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sucked in again?
Hi guys,

I must have a "big fat top lip" that hangs out in mid space.......

...every time I see an advert a little bit interesting for a lens....... it's hook leaps out at me and digs itself into my top lip and I hang there wagging my tail until the seller disgorges it, takes the money and leaves me floundering on the riverbank holding yet another piece of glass.......

.....this time it's a Nikor-S 55mm F1.2....

......this ones a watch the birdie lens.................it's going cheap cheap cheap!....  Rolleyes   :o  Tongue   

Ugh. Too graphic. Smile

But if it's cheap and you didn't pawn your last T-shirt to buy it, I can say only one word... ENJOY! Big Grin

My Nikkor-S•C 55mm f1.2 ( the C stands for improved coatings, 2nd version of the lens) :[Image: E71660D37A3E4BE584B801E42DF374C3.jpg]

[Image: ED255F572E94472FA60C8863A73A8A22.jpg]

[Image: 28BCFD31D5CA4112A2BC0BB5D3965EBF.jpg]

[Image: 89C599086C60444BAB43CDC9C76D9132.jpg]

[Image: 0DD745B6E5B544E5B1B172D6AD542E8D.jpg]

[Image: B7BEE9CCC872418DBC72761EFF415EA8.jpg]

ps: to not just ploink it on your D750. Since it is a pre-Ai lens, it will damage the aperture mechanism on the body. Either "Ai" convert it, or use it on a different camera.
To BC!  Nice bokeh shots .

ps: to not just ploink it on your D750. Since it is a pre-Ai lens, it will damage the aperture mechanism on the body. Either "Ai" convert it, or use it on a different camera. 

OK It looks like "Sucked in again" was very appropriate here!   :wub:  :angry:   Story of my life.....LOL

I've the D7100 and the D750, so conversion here I come!

I've been looking on Ken Rockwell's site and found some info.....he talks about a "home hack"

------------------------------------------

"Home-Made Hatchet- Job Conversions

Since Nikon no longer does these conversions, some people get out their metalworking tools and hack away at the aperture ring to get some sort of crude functionality. This lets them work on newer cameras, but destroys any value they may have had to collectors. Any lens that's been converted has no collectible value.

(BTW.Not in the least bit bothered about the collectors value)

To do this, people grind off some of the bottom of the aperture ring and maybe glue on an ADR scale. Here's what a good one looks like:"

--------------------------------------------

Looking at another Nikon lens I see the cut out on the aperture ring, that I can do myself. It looks like the cut out stops just a tad before F8 for F1.2....... that's the auto indexing aspect I guess.....it's position changes according to the maximum aperture.

However,  I'm not understanding the aperture prong aspect of this conversion.........What is to be done there BC?

I probably won't receive the lens till the end of the week, so I can't see what the deal is with this " aperture prong"

it's one of the original "Nippon Kagaku" serial no.185230 with hood and some sort of "mount adapter thing" that I don't know what it is yet.

Thanks in advance BC!

PS. There's also very slight fungus according to the seller, so I was "going in" anyway!

Oh hey ho!  Bokehlicious aluminum filings agogo!

http://www.chr-breitkopf.de/photo/aiconv.en.html

http://pindelski.org/Photography/2013/02...sions-diy/

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-107.html

https://nikonmflens.org/index.php/discus...ai-nikkors

http://richardhaw.com/2016/01/21/diy-ai-conversion/

Also have a look at a 55mm f1.2 Ai (and 50mm f1.2 Ai/Ai-S) which shows the starting point on the left very clearly (to get correct indexing):

[Image: D3S_1428-compared-1200.jpg]

[Image: web024471.jpg]

So indeed kinda at the f5.6 2/3rds stop.

The aperture prong part should be nonsense. There were exactly 2 Nikon film DSLRs which allowed you to see the set f-value on the aperture ring, I seem to remember, and for those there was that 2nd row of f-value numbers, and the holes in the prong to look through. Not important as far as I know. The prong used to tell the camera the set aperture on the ring. But with your DSLR that mechanism is not there anymore. You can put it on the lens to have it keep its correct Nikkor MF look. And to keep the two screw holes filled.

One nice aspect of this 55mm f1.2 lens is that Nikon made a special series of it (about 9 in total if I remember correctly?) especially for NASA which were used in the Apollo moon missions (so not just Hasselblad cameras), and it is said that a few of those were left behind on the moon? If it was good enough for NASA, it is good enough for our DSLRs, right?

Another useless tidbit about Nikkors: You can tell Ai and Ai-S lenses apart by just looking at the aperture scales. Ai-S lenses have the smallest aperture number in orange. Does it matter whether a lens is Ai or Ai-S? No. But sometimes Ai and Ai-S versions have different optics, they do have a different mechanical design sometimes and the number of aperture blades may be different. So just handy to know to identify a certain lens.

Fungus on the lens? You knwo there are repari shops which refuse those lenses to do anything with them?

Well, I'm sure there are also repair shops which don't care if the fungus gets on their other glasses.

Thanks BC!

More will be clear at the end of the week.....still waiting for the M42 Nikon F adapter....

Yeah it's just one small step for the Nikonite kind!

Quote:Fungus on the lens? You know there are repari shops which refuse those lenses to do anything with them?

Well, I'm sure there are also repair shops which don't care if the fungus gets on their other glasses. 

No probs I've a stock of Nikon penicillin!
http://www.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/en_us...enses.html

Clean it in a place where you don't keep your lenses.

Amonia is a good fungus killer.

Oh. Looks like my "Enjoy" comment was rather premature.  :wacko: So many stuff to know for a Nikon user - I'm glad I chose Canon years ago, fits my two-cell brain better.  :blink: