Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nikon SB-5000 Speedlight
Well, so they finally have a radio controlled flash system... sort of.

I was all excited when I read the rumors about the SB-5000, but I'm really disappointed now. Radio controlled range just 98 feet, and it's compatible with two just released cameras only. Which still need some ugly adapters to use this feature.

Sorry, no. I'll just stick with my Yongnuo triggers. They're cheap, are compatible with all i-TTL flashes, all current Nikon DSLRs and have far more range. Yes, they are a bit bulky, but they are reliable and simply work.

Thanks, Nikon, saves me some money... Smile

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

Is that this battery-grip-like box undernath the body? Didn't look closer, but WLAN / radio controlled Nikon should get some engineers who know their stuff an ddon't bet on extra cash not made with proprietary accessories. GPS-1, ME-1 - all overpriced, but I'm really happy with the tiny SB-500

No, that's the wireless transmitter (WT-7) for transferring images, for radio controlled flash you need smaller transmitters, which are plugged into the 10-pin port in the front of the D5/D500. Looks like an easy to tear-off solution to me.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

Thanks for clearing that. Easy to tear-off, for sure. I don't like this stupid port, always in the way and sometimes it's difficult to get to the flash button. The stiff rubber covers don't help much, either.

Quote:No, that's the wireless transmitter (WT-7) for transferring images, for radio controlled flash you need smaller transmitters, which are plugged into the 10-pin port in the front of the D5/D500. Looks like an easy to tear-off solution to me.

-- Markus
Also possible on other pro body,s like D800 D4/s etc?
Quote:Also possible on other pro body,s like D800 D4/s etc?

From what I have read so far: no. You need the WR-R10 transmitter, which in general is compatible with other cameras, too, but only to remote control the cameras it is connected to. If you want to use the radio features, you're limited to the D5 and D500.

It might be possible to add this feature set to older cameras, too. Time will tell if Nikon sees the need to do so.

If you want to have a working radio controlled wireless solution that retains CLS/iTTL functionality, better look elsewhere, like Nissin, Yongnuo or, if you have lots of money to spend, Pocketwizard.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com