Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nikon FF mirrorless being planned?
 Exactly... citing a patent means very little............

First base is surely showing us the camera!

Random thoughts: (recognising this is Nikon forum, I will mention the C word too!)

I do like Nikon's CX system at a technical level. It is the price/performance I have difficulty with, where I think it needs to be much lower positioned in that way. I don't think it is small enough to justify a premium. I recognise that beyond a point, the sensor size probably isn't making a significant difference in body cost so they can't really push it down.

I know everyone has been predicting the downfall of DSLRs for years, but we're still not there yet. What would be a good milestone to look to? The year when more mirrorless bodies are shipped than DSLRs? Anyone brave enough to guess when that will be? 3 years? 5 years? Something else?

Even when Canon/Nikon go full on mirrorless, I still don't think it'll be an overnight transition. Everyone already with a DSLR will ask themselves, what does the new system do that I can't do now? The transition would be interesting. Will people dual-system? Adapt the DSLR lenses to cover shortcomings in the mirrorless, at least for the early days (assuming each manufacturer will offer adapters offering a good level of backward compatibility). That in itself will probably mean SLR lenses will hold value long after any mirrorless offering is made, with the first drops being the areas directly covered by the new native mirrorless lenses.

It was before my time, but is there anything from the Canon FD to EF shift we can learn from? Of course Nikon sidestepped that problem by not changing mount, with the benefits and negatives that go along with it.

Oh, I see on CanonRumors someone has dug up a patent for 50mm f/3.5 macro for full frame mirrorless from Canon. Take it for what you will...

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
Those patents will occur more, I think, because a lot people are looking out for them and some things can be overthought, maybe even overcome. We are already in the beginning of transition, mirrorless Fullframes are around and available. With which milestone should we see the transition as finished? When there's no more new DSLR on the shelves? When everybody talks about those "old DSLR times"? When all birders use them for BIF?

What about those Hybrids like Sony and Olympus and DxO put lens and sensor together and leave the finder to a smartphone?

I'm a bit torn in between. Sometimes I'd like to see the mirror flap and shutter bang gone, other times this noise is the acoustic equivalent of "taking a photo". What if somebody has the idea to bring out interchangeable sensors in that body? Without the need of indirect AF mechanics and modules those could be doable. One body, gear up for high ISO or high resolution.
If mirror-less is the arena of the new world photographic conflicts,

I think Canikon will look back in years to come "shedding tears" that they let Sony take such a huge lead........ C/N are for all the world making mirror-less look like the early development of the helicopter.......

Sony on the other hand must be reveling in the fact that C/N don't seem to want to take up the fight....................the former's lead is now unassailable............the battle is already lost for the latter!

While here we are playing......... "spot the Nikon ML T/S lens patents"!

DPReview has a nice and long article about Sonys A7R II. I admit I didn't pay much attention to their development, just catched up some annoyed entries about changing mounts. Then I saw a small report about Batis lenses with really nice bokeh, so I began to read more about the cameras they are made for... I' not in an urge and I recognise the quirks about menu and staff, but whe. DPReview put that video about focusing in dark situations with a reasonable fast lens compared to D750 (which I find pretty good in bad light) and EOS 5S R. There are different approaches of how to focus than I'm used to, but I can't say I always get sharp results. So why not try at least?